pot vents plus ridge vent

scrierJune 22, 2007

I have a hip roof with less than 10 ft of ridge so I have pot vents. Would adding a ridge vent help or would it just interfere with the pot vents working properly?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
daddo

The more venting the better, but I wouldn't spend too much on a ridge vent if it isn't really needed. What's a pot vent? Is that like a turbine type?

Bookmark   June 23, 2007 at 12:52AM
scrier

By pot vent I mean those cheap metal square things like the following. I have 10 of them on my roof (5 on each of two sections) and the home has about a 2400SF perimeter

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=17146-1498-450/RVUH50&lpage=none

Bookmark   June 23, 2007 at 9:23AM
marknmt

Sorry I didn't save the source, but when I was doing the roof on our hip I found an on-line formula that was very clear about how many square inches of unpowered vent would serve. I have only 14 feet of ridge, but used a vented shingle, plus I bought several good-sized "turtle" vents and kept the two little ones that the house originally had.

I also went to some trouble to improve the soffit venting. I think it's paid off in the living quality of the house, and it should help ensure that the asphalt roof lies flat for a long time. (We bought pretty good architectural, long-warranty shingles, and figure there's no point in undermining their useful life span with poor installation. I told my wife it was my last roof, and I hope I'm right!)

Good luck,

M

Bookmark   June 24, 2007 at 4:36PM
More Discussions
Geothermal vs Carrier Greenspeed
I am looking to replace my current Heatpump. I have...
mkrafczyk
Rheem Econet AC
Does anyone know when the new Rheem econet Ac units...
bdubb5
Neighbor Finally Upgrades to Heat Pump
My next door neighbor finally took my advice and upgraded...
newtalk2
Propane furnace
I am considering replacing propane furnace & A/C...
zver11
Pls tell me the best uses for Carrier Air Handler Model # FV4CNF003
Hi GW, I am stuck with a new 2012 air handler/heat...
ontariomom
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™