are merv filters bad for an ac?

dland2000June 14, 2011

I recently had a energy efficiency consultation done at my home. They inspector told me that using MERV rated AC filters is a bad idea because the mesh is so fine than its hard for the system to pull air through it, which can shorten the life span of the air handler. He suggested using the "cheaper" filters and a HEPA unit inside the house if I was concerned with allergens in the air.

I'm not really concerned with allergens that much but I do have a number of animals that shed a lot of hair and dander. Perhaps he's right that it being harder on the unit to use a denser filter, but wouldn't a less dense filter allow more hair and dander through into the air handler? That seems bad too.

I live in Texas where the AC runs quite a bit from June through October. I use MERV-8 filters.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tigerdunes

pure nonsense

assuming ductwork is sized correctly both supply and return along with decent sealing, I see no problems with a MERV 8 rated "pleated" filter whether 1" or 5".

you must have good protection of your evap coil, and blower motor plus a measure of reasonable indoor air quality.

IMO

Bookmark   June 14, 2011 at 5:29PM
BillDitRight

Tiger is correct that those filters can certainly be used if everything is sized properly... that being said are you having air cooling issues? You'd stated you got an efficiency check done... so strictly financial concerns or is something amiss with the temperatures in your home? All I'll say is that using cheaper filters can be better idea if you're having air flow issues and for the most part they'll still catch pet hair, dust, and dander. The tradeoff is the dust that does slowly make it into your system and is eventually recirculated.

Bookmark   June 14, 2011 at 7:00PM
tigerdunes

and the dust that damages blower motor, evap coil, not to mention that re-enters your home's living area.

IMO

Bookmark   June 14, 2011 at 7:28PM
juliekcmo

another idea could be to use a larger sized, but decent merv type of filter.

If your current filter is too restrictive, then a better solution than less filtration may be more filter surface area.

Don't guestimate on these things, have someone help you who understands all of this.

Bookmark   June 15, 2011 at 8:09AM
dland2000

Thanks for the help guys. So when you say a larger filter, I assume you mean that the filter is thicker but less dense so it ends up catching the same amount of particles but the air can flow through it easier? If so, I don't think my system will currently accommodate a thicker filter.

Also, I don't have any cooling issues at the moment. The energy consultation was just for piece of mind. The system works well and I recent checkup resulted in a clean bill of health.

Bookmark   June 16, 2011 at 3:16PM
countryboymo

I am lucky in that my filter tray has tabs that bend out to fit a 20x25x1 but the tray is a touch over 4" deep. I bent the tabs out of the way and dropped a 4" filter in place. I later cut the filter apart and pulled the media out straight. It was like 15-20 feet long total length. I did not measure a 1" but that 4" filter has a ton of media. I still try to run something close to a merv 8 but mainly to protect the coil and blower.

Bookmark   June 17, 2011 at 11:18PM
juliekcmo

when I say larger filter, I mean more square inches of surface area.
This can be done with a duct transition, or by using 2 filters angled 45 degrees instead of 1 filter straight in the ductwork.

Bookmark   June 18, 2011 at 6:04PM
More Discussions
Natural gas air conditioning
Does anyone have experience with the newer residential...
blueyebear
Thoughts on proposed HVAC system?
To start: my house is two-level (main plus upper)...
gbleeker
Heat Pump.....will it really save me money?
I recently moves into a new house in Mass, a 1650 sq...
Jinx_1832
Does Air Duct Cleaning really help?
We live in a 40 year old home with a forced air gas...
lincann
Seeking input on HVAC replacement
I am getting ready to do a full replacement. Current...
daddio76
Sponsored Products
Jet Set Giclee Glow 14" Wide Ceiling Light
Lamps Plus
macLEDS Under Cabinet Lighting SNAP 19.5 in. 5-Watt Warm White LED Under
$69.97 | Home Depot
Simple Fit Pop-In Cellular Shade: Light Filtering Single Cell
Blindsgalore
Motorized Cellular Light Filtering Skylight. Free Samples and Shipping!
Blinds.com
Delano Ceiling Fan with Intergrated Light by Minka Aire Fans
$399.95 | Lumens
Portable Back Vacuum
$179.00 | FRONTGATE
Louis Poulsen | Collage Pendant
$998.00 | YLighting
60W 12V LED 0-10 Power Supply
Lightology
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™