Can 1 AC Unit Cool 1st & 2nd Floor of 200 yr old house?

BishBashJune 10, 2011

I have a 2100 sq ft, two story colonial built in 1800. The oil furnace and blower push plenty of warm air thru the ductwork to both floors-- it heats up FAST.

Now I want to install central air, hoping it would be easy to add a coil above the furnace and set a 2 1/2 or 3 ton condenser on a pad 4 just feet from the basement furnace.

But more than one salesmen has told me I won't be able to cool the 2nd floor. I have NO returns on the 2nd floor, just the stairwell. The one return I do have is on the 1st floor near the bottom of the stairs.

After considering several costly options, including an attic AC unit, I'm wondering: can't I direct enough cool air to the 2nd floors by closing off first floor vents, or the use of a damper near the head of the ductwork? The next, least costly option would be to add one return from the 2nd floor, though it wouldn't be in the optimum location. First I'd try the system without it.

I've had a two story home before with a single central AC unit, so I know the 1st floor needs to be chilly to keep the 2nd floor comfortable -- but that house did have a 2nd floor return. Anybody with a historic home can understand why I'm trying to make the least invasive (and least expensive) plan work. I can only spend $4000-$6000.

I'm hoping to hear that one unit will be ok, even if not ideal.

thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
juliekcmo

I suggest that you find out about the suitability of using an attic air handler and current ductwork. You may need to under cut the doors about 1 inch to allow for return air. While my home is not as old as your, it does have radiators for heat, and plaster walls and stone foundation. Our main return air is in the ceiling in the upstairs hall and is about 24x36, and unit is above in the attic.

Bookmark   June 10, 2011 at 6:56PM
More Discussions
Bad TXV valves (2 in a row) on brand new unit
Just got a XR15 Trane HVAC unit installed last week....
dhome
Blown in insulation vs spray foam
I am looking for advice. I have a home built in 2000...
mkrafczyk
company insists on all payment in advance
Having 2 mini-splits installed, have already paid half...
gramarows
Opinions please Mitsubishi M - S E R I E S H I G H P E R F O R M A N C
Our HVAC guy is suggesting this for a complete system...
almostemptynester
Need help with selecting Eff Heat Pump replacement.
20 yr old American Std Heat Pump stopped working. ...
2015hvac
Sponsored Products
Knottee Floor Lamp
Lightology
Illusion Runner 2'6" x 8' - BLUE/IVORY
$179.00 | Horchow
Modern Silver Arc Floor Lamp on White Marble Base
Overstock.com
Liberty Furniture Bungalow 3 Piece Desk & Hutch Set in Driftwood & Black Finish
Beyond Stores
Runner Rug: Andria Ivory 2' 6" x 8'
Home Depot
Caroline Medale Oriental Rug (3'3 x 4'11)
Overstock.com
Ivory & Steel Zigzag Summerton Rug
$24.99 | zulily
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Mohawk Home Rugs Ziggidy Multi 8 ft. x 10
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™