Correction for coverage of window on Man J

david_caryJune 1, 2011

So I was looking over a man J calc. They have all my W facing windows with the same multiplier. 3 of the windows are facing a covered porch - like 12 feet deep just a foot above the windows. I don't feel like I ever get direct sun on these windows and they act more like a North facing window from a cooling standpoint. They wind up being the same btu/hr/sqft as uncovered windows which clearly isn't right.

Is there a way of correcting this that I don't see? These windows add up to 5000 btu/hr despite being low-e.

There are just so many ways to fudge manual J's. Does anyone know about what a 10 sqft West facing low-e window (shgc of .3) equals in btu/hr in NC?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lryan

Good information to know! I am suppose to have my load calculation on tomorrow, so I look it over really good. I just fired my HVAC who could never produce a Manual J for me. I guess he was using square footage. Luckily for me I'm using a energy rater who requires it. So its kind of like a checks and balance for me.

Sorry I don't have any information to give you.

On a side note-- I have followed a lot of your posts and our home is similar in size (also doing an unfinised walkout) Just read today that you used M&W windows as well.

Bookmark   June 2, 2011 at 1:07PM
More Discussions
Are mini-splits a bad idea.
I have lived in both Europe and the Middle East and...
bry911
Enery efficiency of exposed ductwork?
What are your thoughts on the energy efficiency of...
ccintx
Need help choosing an efficient HRV Air Exchanger
Hi, My house as a total area of 2300 square feet (1150*x)....
Jim_Lafleur
Insulating floor on my raised home in Louisiana.
We recently installed solar panels on our home. We...
ktyler1320
Geothermal vs Carrier Greenspeed
I am looking to replace my current Heatpump. I have...
mkrafczyk
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™