Laundry room storage

vidyap7January 23, 2011

Hi,

I would like to put in storage in my laundry room. It's a small room. It's the room we enter from the garage - our normal way in. The other door goes to the kitchen. I have a top loader washer and a gas dryer. They are 11 years old, but still working fine (crossing fingers that I don't jinx it). DH says we need to plan so that it's flexible for both top and front loader washers. Our mode of doing laundry is to get a basket of laundry down from the second floor, load it into the washer, put the empty basket on the washer. When doing multiple loads, the baskets stay on top of the washer. We fold clothes in our rooms. Ironing is done when needed in our room.

My needs for this room are:

1. Place to keep washing supplies. I currently have a small moving cart next to the sink where I keep my supplies.

2. Place to store my mop, bucket and cleaning supplies.

3. Place to store some kitchen appliances like a quesadilla maker, blender, etc. Also for some supplies like paper towels, dishwashing powder, etc

4. This is also the place where DH combs his hair, etc before going out. So, need a place to keep some grooming supplies.

This is how the laundry room is currently:

Here is a tentative design I made. Please critique.

Thanks,

V

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
westvillager

That's a very multi-functional room! Given the footage, I'd suggest open shelving versus cabinets. You get more space and it looks like there would a lot of door competition. Open shelves also give you more freedom of movement when getting kitchen appliances. Mops and brooms could go on the wall, back of a door or even btwn two spaces using a sliding utility holder. For the hair combing, a medicine cabinet over the sink or a corner shelf should hold the equipment.

This post has been at the top for a while so thought I'd give it a shot.

Bookmark   January 25, 2011 at 12:30PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maks_2000

As you move forward & the washer/dryer continue to age (mine gave out at about 12 years) replace each with a front loader as they fail. You then can stack them. This one move will save you tons of space. Of course you will want to have a place in your shelves to store baskets since the top of the washer/dryer will not be available. We used ours unstacked for a while until we re-did the laundry room.

You may also want to evaluate your water savings, as well soap savings -- not published, but my Tide bottles last 3 or 4 times longer than with a top loader -- & may be able to justify changing the machines earlier.

You may also consider a pocket door into the kitchen which will save you floor space. Also consider the possibility of having your garage door swing outward (if room in garage) to save some more floor space & open some wall space.

Good luck!

Bookmark   January 25, 2011 at 10:29PM
More Discussions
Persil DuoCaps Made in Germany
So after my less than great results with the new "WalMart...
larsi_gw
New Tide Turbo Clean HE
Seeing coupons for this in my paper. Is it their response...
kclv
Affresh vs. Washer Magic
We've had our Duet for about two months, and so far/so...
chipshot
Fisher+Paykel Eco Intuitive not working properly
Hello, I hope someone out there can help me! I have...
varietypack
LG/Kenmore Elite 5.2 washer & 9.0 Dryer
Hey everyone! Happy New Year!! Does anyone have any...
larsi_gw
Sponsored Products
Wash Machine Storage Rack
$54.99 | zulily
Serena & Lily Rope Hamper
Serena & Lily
Set of 3 Iron Regent Homeward Bound Wall Hangings
Overstock.com
Habitat Aqua 54 x 84-Inch Roslyn Panel Set
$23.95 | Bellacor
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Veranda Chocolate/Aqua 6 ft. 7
Home Depot