Carrier Heat Pumps - Compressor Problems?

aniamJune 19, 2012

We have 2 Carrier heat pumps installed on our roof. Both units are from the Comfort Series (both model numbers start with 25HBC3xxxx).

Every time the compressors start up two things happen:

1. There is a loud click and what sounds like a "thump". The click sounds like it is coming from the thermostat (Honeywell) - I am not sure what, if anything, can be done about that. The "thump" comes from the compressors themselves - they seem to start in a very "hard" way. Is there anything that can be done about that?

2. The real concern I have is that every time the compressors start the lights dim momentarily. We have a brand new 200 amp service (main panel and 100 amp subpanel). Two different electricians looked at the set up and seem to think that the panels are sized and balanced properly. What could be the reason for dimming? And is there anything that can be done to remedy it?

Thank you for all your input and suggestions.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tigerdunes

What is the age of these HP condensers?

Have you called your installing dealer?

Could be a variety of reasons. Wire size may be undersized. May need hard start kits on both units.

I would call your installing dealer and discuss over the phone. I assume both units are heating and cooling satisfactorily.

IMO

Bookmark   June 19, 2012 at 2:17PM
More Discussions
Floor Air Register and ductwork
In recently doing light cleaning on air registers in...
Char Holdenried
Problems with HVAC in 1958 Cape Cod
I've been reading the blogs here and hope that the...
ginaff58
Any Reviews/Feedback on Daikin HVAC (Dallas)
Anyone install a Daikin HVAC system yet? We are in...
DallasArts
Geothermal vs Carrier Greenspeed
I am looking to replace my current Heatpump. I have...
mkrafczyk
Propane furnace
I am considering replacing propane furnace & A/C...
zver11
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™