Carrie tech suggest cheap filters?

debnmikeJune 17, 2011

Last Nov had new Carrier A/C17Seer,Gas Furn,Coil and Infinity Control installed. Memorial day,Control said coil frozen, change filter. Tech came out, defrosted coil, put complete puron charge. Then 1 week later, control said, replace filter again. Different tech came said, not to use pleated filter, to use "cheap 99cent ones) as the system is so sensitive. I don't get it. So what if I wanted to add a media filter, I guess that would not work? Also when system put in,(furnace with coil on top) is in hall closet with 20x20 return, they added another return 20x20 in hall ceiling-3 feet away, and disconnected the 16x20 return that was in living room in a wall cavity. Wouldn't I need that one too? and therefore have 3 return grills? Opinions please!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike_home

What are the sizes of the furnace and condenser?

I assume the 16X20 return was abandoned because it used a wall cavity instead of a duct. It is hard to judge the effectiveness of the two 20X20 returns without seeing the set up.

I would be leary of a tech who told me I should be using a cheap 99 cent filter on my new Carrier Infinity furnace and condenser. A good 1 inch pleated filter with a Merv 8 rating should work. Do not use the 3M Filtrete filters. They are too restrictive.

You may have a static pressure problem. The change filter message is triggered by the static pressure reading. It is too high, then the furnace intrepret this as a dirty filter.

You can go into the advance menu and get the static pressure reading. You want the reading when the furnace or condenser is operating in the high stage. The ideal reading is 0.5 or less. A reading of 0.5 to 0.7 is accepatble. Anything higher is not good.

Bookmark   June 20, 2011 at 11:06AM
More Discussions
Geothermal vs Carrier Greenspeed
I am looking to replace my current Heatpump. I have...
mkrafczyk
Nozzle size for Oil Burner ??
I have a Slant fin oil furnace that heats my water...
big_al_41
carrier infinity with greenspeed service settings
We just built a new home in central Kansas this year,...
Energywise.ks
Pls tell me the best uses for Carrier Air Handler Model # FV4CNF003
Hi GW, I am stuck with a new 2012 air handler/heat...
ontariomom
Mike_home, is this a good idea? re: thermostat
@mike_home, You wrote this back in 2012 and I just...
cindywhitall
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™