Very thin cut bottom round: uses and kind of heat?

linnea56April 7, 2014

I asked my husband to pick up thin cut beef of stir frying or fajitas. He came home with thin cut bottom round. From what I can tell, this will be too tough for either one of what I wanted it for. Or am I wrong? It's supposed to need braising.

I am thinking of cutting it into strips and using the pressure cooker, then making a gravy with it. Like my Mom's simmered steak, though I don't know what other people call it. Does this cut lend itself to pressure cooking? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ruthanna_gw

Another way to use that cut is to stuff it, roll it up, and tie in a couple places with kitchen twine or plain dental floss. Then you can brown the rolls, add liquid to come up about halfway, cover and simmer until tender, turning the rolls over once or twice. You can thicken the cooking liquid and use it as a gravy.

Stuffing ideas are endless. The last ones I made, I spread the meat with fig jam and covered with fresh spinach leaves.

Bookmark   April 7, 2014 at 7:22PM
grainlady_ks

I have a pair of OXO kitchen and herb shears that will cut a thin cut of raw meat like this into the small pieces you want. I find this pair of kitchen shears invaluable in the kitchen. We don't always need to cut with a knife, and the shears does a better job on slippery meat, like chicken, or when removing the skin from chicken. The shears come apart so you can easily clean them after each use.

Partially-frozen meat also cuts more easily if using a sharp knife.

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: OXO Kitchen and Herb Shears

Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 4:55AM
sleevendog

I use flank for fajitas and tacos but don't see why it would not work. I slice it partially frozen for easy super thin slices. Skirt is what i used recently and was very good but did need more than my usual 1-2 hour marinade. Skirt has more flavor but can be tough and chewy if not careful.
Roulades, rouladen, or brachiole all great uses for that cut as mentioned.

Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 8:09AM
More Discussions
Big Weekend Ahead
Hi everyone, I'll be making Crab Stuffed Mushrooms...
moonwolf_gw
Monkey Princess makes pretzels
The Monkey Princess decided that we needed to learn...
annie1992
What's Your Favorite Meal? To cook, to eat, to repeat...
Celebrate the continuation of the forum, and tell me...
plllog
Does this Nutella frosting on my cake need to be refrigerated?
I finally found a Nutella frosting recipe that I really...
sooz
Why can't they leave things alone?
I really don't have the time nor the energy to learn...
doucanoe
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™