What size propane tank?

wwwonderwhiskersJune 3, 2011

Would anyone like to please add their experience with what size buried propane tank we might need?

New home 4300 sq.ft on 3 levels (1000 in basement), 2 professionals, no children, 4br. Planned appliances using propane are:

- home heating system,

- hotwater heater,

- a 42" gas fireplace,

- Viking rangetop,

- porch grill,

- and a 15-20kw or so generator wired to fridges, cooking, 35% lights, WD, and home heating.

We'll be in agricultural zone 6b mid-Atlantic, and in country on 3 acres just outside the 'burbs.

We consider the 500 gallon - will this be enough if we loose power in Winter for 2 weeks?

We consider the 1,000 gallon - will this loose pressure & appliance performance faster when the tank gets low?

We plan on backup woodburning stove in basement to augment any serious foul weather. We will have an open wood-burning FP off kitchen for fun & entertainment.

xposting to Building a Home & Appliances. Let us know your thoughts. TIA !

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dapoppa

As long as you're having a hole dug, bury a 1000. With LP you'll never have as many gallons available as the tank is rated for. A "full" tank may have 950 gallons. As it gets low the available draw will decrease. It's not like fuel oil where it's good to the last drop.

Bookmark   June 3, 2011 at 9:51AM
bus_driver

With propane and a horizontal cylinder tank, the highest permissible delivery of gas is when the tank is half full. It is greater then than when full, which is 80% of maximum capacity. Your gas supplier can suggest the minimum tank size for your needs.

Bookmark   June 3, 2011 at 8:51PM
countryboymo

The tank will be regulated and will be capable of supplying whatever the regulator can supply. I see no reason why a regulator that can supply the needs of every appliance could not be met in this situation. I think a 1k tank would be the minimum.

Bookmark   June 5, 2011 at 10:35AM
bus_driver

I hope the person takes my previous advice. The regulator is not the only limiting factor. The surface area of the gas in the tank is a limiting factor. The gas must "boil off" and become vapor prior to leaving the tank. A small surface area delivers less vapor than does a large area. Cooler temperatures also slow the transition from liquid to gas. So the propane vaporizes more slowly at the very times that demand is greatest. Propane dealers can determine the tank size needed for your application.

Bookmark   June 5, 2011 at 6:30PM
More Discussions
Neighbor Finally Upgrades to Heat Pump
My next door neighbor finally took my advice and upgraded...
newtalk2
furnace condensation freezing up
A non-profit club that I belong to has a furnace that...
doglover3
Pls tell me the best uses for Carrier Air Handler Model # FV4CNF003
Hi GW, I am stuck with a new 2012 air handler/heat...
ontariomom
2 Stage vs 1 Stage
I am trying to decide what HVAC replacement system...
cms9323
Heat pump choices for first timer. Advice??
Hello, First post, great place you all have here. We...
adayrider
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™