What to put over the range

NDSAJanuary 10, 2014

I am debating on what to put over our range. Currently we have an OTR Microwave and I was planning on keeping it. The issue is that I wanted to give some "3D" features and bump out the cabinets above 2" to make it more decorative. The issue is that in order to do that, I need to move the microwave about an 1" forward. I am not sure if that is possible (maybe just put plywood behind the microwave). But now the microwave will be covering more of the range. Has anyone done this?

So now I am reconsidering keeping the OTR microwave (I know lots of people don't like them, but we never had an issue with venting so originally I was planning on keeping the OTR microwave.) and replacing it with just a vent. My issue is that we don't have duct work for a vent (we used a recirculating microwave). My question is...can anyone recommend a nice looking recirculating vent. I am picturing something like this...

Transitional Kitchen by Cupertino General Contractors Build For Me Construction

or something like this...

Traditional Kitchen by Evanston Design-Build Firms Benvenuti and Stein

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
xand83

It seems like bumping out the OTR would just make it tougher to get to the back of the range. OTRs typically already jut-out a few extra inches from the cabinet. Any more and it will be all-the-more tough to use the back burners/controls.

We are in a similar situation. We are ditching our recirculating microwave for a hood, but we will be venting since it's on an exterior wall. It seems most hoods have an option for recirculating that is either included or an additional add-on expense.

I think we are getting the Broan B5630SS, but I just noticed the price went up $50, so that's annoying. Grrr.

Bookmark   January 10, 2014 at 10:09AM
cparlf

Personally, I love our OTR microwave. It is also a convection oven, bakes up to 400 degrees. Since installation, we find we use that more than the gas range. We live in a moderate home, and although we really like some range hoods, it would be a bit over the top for our life style. Venting to the outside is critical, in my opinion.

Bookmark   January 10, 2014 at 10:39AM
cevamal

Have you ruled out venting to the outside? We had a recirculating "vent" (scare quotes because it was terrible) and have installed a vent to the outdoors. DH did it all himself so it can't be too difficult or expensive to have a contractor do!

I get the desire for variety in the cabinets but I don't know that this is the place for it. As someone else mentioned it will make the back of the stove less accessible.

Bookmark   January 11, 2014 at 8:01PM
debrak2008

We also DIY's venting out. Not that hard (if you are handy) and not expensive.

Bookmark   January 11, 2014 at 9:16PM
More Discussions
Terracotta versus porcelain versus ???? for floors
Would love to have input on what to use for the floor....
sayde
Is this what a mitered granite edge should look like?
We paid our granite fabricators for a mitered granite...
snookers1999
help with kitchen layout
Thoughts on this kitchen layout? What do you think...
Leigh-Ann Draheim
Alternate granite idea to replace Cambrian black I had been planning?
My DH is killing me. We are doing white cabinets and...
happyallison
Nobody does drop-in sink on stone countertop? Really?
I know... undermount is more popular these days --...
mudworm
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™