Insulation of heat ducts in the attic - PROBLEM!

kashka_katJune 10, 2008

Hi Im having ongoing attic insulation and ventilation problems - your advice & expertise please!

Was supposed to have R50 insulation installed over the heat ducts which go thru the attic and then back down to the rooms below. I went up there and theres no way theres R50 over the ducts. Its cellulose and now that its settled theres barely an inch of insulation over them and in some areas are bare.

The contract said the attic ducts would be air sealed and insulated to R50 value. Is this a breach of contract? What specifically should I ask for to remedy the situation?

One of the other guys I had give me a quote (before the work was done) was going to cover the heat ducts in spray- on foam. Would this be a good solution? The second guy (who did the work) didn't want to do the foam but said he would have the pipes wrapped instead and then covered with the cellulose that went over the rest of the attic floor. I didn't see any insulation wrapped at all around the ducts - only some aluminum tape at the joints.

The cellulose alone is not doing it. I have ice dam problems in this one area of the roof where the heat ducts are.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kalining

The first thing you might want to do is address your ice damn problem before it become serious.

Bookmark   June 10, 2008 at 10:36AM
kashka_kat

THE HEAT SEEPING INTO THE ATTIC DUE TO INSUFFICIENT INSULATION OF DUCTS IS PART OF THE ICE DAMMING PROBLEM.

Sorry to be cranky but could we stick to the questions that were asked please.

Bookmark   June 10, 2008 at 11:55AM
kalining

Not with that attitude.

Bookmark   June 10, 2008 at 9:31PM
zl700

Blown in or in this case blown over cellulose is not how to insulate ducts. You may have got R50 for the ceiling though.

If the contract said it was to insulate ducts you were taken. If all you got was tape on your ducts to seal them, and not a duct sealing mastic, once again taken.

Calm down, and yes leaking uninsulated ducts in cold climates will thaw snow down to the overhangs and other cold areas and cause the ice damming.

Bookmark   June 11, 2008 at 2:00AM
kashka_kat

What specifically should I ask for to fix the situation? How are ducts usually insulated in an attic? What specific materials? I want to be able to say specifically what it is I want before I speak to them. Thank you.

Bookmark   June 11, 2008 at 11:32AM
zl700

Dusts are typically sealed with a grey duct sealing mastic brushed on over the cracks. There is an aluminum tape (not dust tape) for the DIY and lazy that does work fairly well.

For the insulation a foil faced duct wrap or board is applied to the desired thickness and sealed with special tape either self adhesive or bonded with a heat iron.

Bookmark   June 11, 2008 at 9:13PM
More Discussions
Mike_home, is this a good idea? re: thermostat
@mike_home, You wrote this back in 2012 and I just...
cindywhitall
Neighbor Finally Upgrades to Heat Pump
My next door neighbor finally took my advice and upgraded...
newtalk2
How to heat this room?
Hi folks! First post in this forum. I live in ec Iowa....
sparky_10
Insulating floor on my raised home in Louisiana.
We recently installed solar panels on our home. We...
ktyler1320
Need help choosing an efficient HRV Air Exchanger
Hi, My house as a total area of 2300 square feet (1150*x)....
Jim_Lafleur
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™