Which Speed Queen top loader for a family of 4?

wannabfoodyJanuary 25, 2014

Our family consists of two girls ages 7 and 3 (and the youngest is 3 and out of diapers so no cloth to wash) and myself and my husband. We do about 6 to 8 loads of wash a week. I am debating between the base model 412 and the mid model 432 but I am not 100% sure we need all 17 cycles, but the addition of the extra rinse cycle could be nice. Also any convincing arguments for the top of the line 542 would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Annie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Gwarstong

I've had the 542 for about four months. If shopping today, I'd buy it again.

IMHO, the extra-rinse cycle is must-have. You probably won't use it all the time (I don't) but it is a definite plus when you want it. Actually, same with the cycles....sooner or later, you'll be glad for the options, especially as the girls grow older and start being finicky about how their clothes are treated.

Bookmark   January 25, 2014 at 12:42PM
laundryvet

Extra rinse feature is nice, I program whenever I run through a thick fluffy item like a comforter or thick jacket where the fiber thickness inhibits getting the soap out.

Of course water/sewer cheap where I live, maybe not so cheap out West.

Laundryvet

Bookmark   January 25, 2014 at 4:46PM
dadoes

An extra rinse can be run manually by resetting the timer.

Bookmark   January 25, 2014 at 7:40PM
beaglenc

I've had the 542 and matching gas dryer for 8 months now and they have performed flawlessly. I considered the 432 but chose the 542 because of the extra cycles. I liked the idea of having them available should I ever need them. And I have. The cost was only 40 or 50$ more and I have no regrets. We are a family of three adults, two dogs (beagle and great dane) several cats and do about 6 to 8 loads a week.My daughter can be quite picky about her clothes, as I am.

Bookmark   January 26, 2014 at 7:59AM
sparky823

I believe the 542 has a Gentle Wash/Fast Spin that the others do not offer, if that sounds like something you might use.

Bookmark   January 26, 2014 at 8:16AM
dianne47

I always use the extra rinse feature, every single load. I wouldn't have a washer without that feature. Speed Queen is a great brand.

Bookmark   February 3, 2014 at 9:29PM
More Discussions
Magtag TL leaving white film on clothes
My Maytag has a selfcleaning filter, and I've had it...
sweeterthanhoney
Do you put powder detergent in dispenser in front loader?
I finally finished the big bottle of liquid detergent...
marti8a
Stacking washer and dryers of different makes
I just learned that my Kenmore washer was beyond repair...
deleomeyer
Dark color spots on clothes after washing/drying
I have been having having this issue for months now...
tylerr27
Speed Queen Front Load AFN50 Washer Review - Long Post
I have been lurking here for a while as one of many...
sandiego_steve
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™