Rust on Grille of Outside Condenser Unit (photos)

love_the_yardJune 1, 2009

I live in Florida and my A/C unit is about 15 years old. It still works fine but the outside condenser unit has become a real eyesore. The grille over it is covered with rust. It originally had a plastic coating around/over all of the wires that apparently didn't last in the Florida sun. The plastic coating dried, cracked and peeled away leaving exposed metal underneath to rust. Can I remove the wire grille, brush it down with a wire brush to remove the remaining plastic coating bits and paint it with Rustoleum Cold Galvanizing Compound Spray? Is there a better solution? Even though this old girl looks as rusty as can be, all of the rust is on the grille. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tigerdunes

yard

just curious. what brand outside condenser?

do you live in a coastal or inland environment?

I personally think you are wasting your time.

But if this eyesore is a concern, then check with an AC supply house about a new replacement fan cover grill. The rust may be holding the grill together.

IMO

Bookmark   June 1, 2009 at 9:02AM
love_the_yard

Tiger,

The brand is Carrier.

I live exactly five miles inland from the beach. (You may consider that "coastal"!)

If this were hidden around the back of the house, I would agree about the time but in my neighborhood, all A/C units are on the side of the house and my neighbor's front door, which sits at an angle on their house, facing my house, faces right at this. The unit can also see it as you are driving down the street. Unfortunately, it is on the side from which most traffic approaches. So got to do something about it.

So I could purchase a new cover grill? That may be a better idea. You are right that the rust may be the last remaining threads of strength. I will have to shop. Would appreciate any online recommendations of supply houses.

Thanks!

Bookmark   June 1, 2009 at 9:10AM
refrigman1

the grill on the top of the unit holds the condenser fan motor so the rust is not the only thing holding it together. yoy can remove the grill and remove the fan motor and sand and paint the grill (be sure to turn the power off to the unit) Once you have the top grill removed the one for the sides is easily removed by taking out a couple screws and lifting the sheet metal top up. The only thing holding the side grill on is it is wedged between the top and bottom sheet metal. Reassembly of the side grill is usually a little difficult an extra pair of hands is usually necessary to get everything lined up correctly. If you want a new replacement grill it will have to be one made by carrier for that exact unit. Take the model number to the local carrier dealer and have them order you a new one.

Bookmark   June 1, 2009 at 10:53AM
More Discussions
Central Air OR Mini-Split
Hello everyone, We bought our house 2 years ago (1938...
Bongo
Why is split ductless so expensive when installed?
Hi, Long time reader, first post. I have a question,...
JHZR2
Advice on Attic insulation
So we just finished the second year in our house and...
w_fournier
New HVAC install in So Cal
Hi Everyone, I just got a quote from Home Depot contractor....
revlimit
Need help with selecting Eff Heat Pump replacement.
20 yr old American Std Heat Pump stopped working. ...
2015hvac
Sponsored Products
Outdoor Lighting. Fleur de Lis Collection Wall-Mount 1-Light Outdoor Stone Light
Home Depot
Sterling Accord 71150110 60W x 74H in. Bathtub Shower Combo - 71150110-0
$812.99 | Hayneedle
Serena & Lily Woven Raffia Wall Frame
Serena & Lily
Queen Medallion Duvet Cover 88" x 92" - INDIGO
$1,100.00 | Horchow
Purple Lizzy Shag Rug
$49.99 | zulily
Dark Sky 1-Light Rust Short Arm Wall Lamp
$88.20 | PLFixtures
Uttermost Nerio Distressed Rust Gray Floor Lamp