Air Conditioning

jwrocdJune 8, 2011

In January, I had A/C system replaced in my 2,000 S.F. south Florida home. Went from 3.5 ton/12 SEER to 4 ton/16 SEER, Trane 4TTR5049E & 4TEE3C09A.When a Bdrm. door is almost closed & system comes on, door will shut quickly. With the variable speed AHU, should I be able to tell (or hear) a difference in fan speed at any time (which I can't) ? And, at end of May, should I be realizing more than a 8% energy savings ? Thank you in advance for your help !

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ionized_gw

To get a measure of energy efficiency, determine your electricity use for a period and then find out the "cooling degree days" for that period. Divide KWH by degree days and compare to a time when you had the old system. The calculation will be in error if other electrical use changed significantly.

Bookmark   June 8, 2011 at 2:06PM
jwrocd

Yes, I did compare May 2010 to May 2011 & came up w/ an 8% energy savings. After replacing a 14 year old system, I had hoped for a larger savings. Is this 8% about right? And, should I be able to hear or feel a difference in the AHU's varible speeds (which I cannot) ? Or, is it possible that the AHU is operating only at 1 speed ?

Bookmark   June 9, 2011 at 1:16AM
david_cary

May 2010 may have been a lot cooler. Bill might list average temp but that is a less than perfect measure. My gas bill was $200 for winter 2010 and $100 for winter 2011 - no changes - just a warmer winter.

Yes you should notice a difference in speed unless you never reach high stage/speed.

Bookmark   June 9, 2011 at 2:55PM
ionized_gw

Does anyone even know what cooling degree days are?

Bookmark   June 9, 2011 at 7:50PM
jwrocd

I do now. Thank you very much for your help !

Bookmark   June 12, 2011 at 8:46PM
veesubotee

Your 4 ton unit is likely oversized, and is running contantly in first stage. With a single stage stat, the on time is less than the board's set (timer) upstage time. The same could be said for a 2 stage stat.

V

Bookmark   June 13, 2011 at 10:30AM
BillDitRight

eh, 4 ton is on the verge of oversized for a 2000 sq foot home in Florida, with 2 stories this is likely perfectly fine. How long does your unit run while it's cooling?

Bookmark   June 14, 2011 at 7:10PM
More Discussions
New Mini Split Designs for 2015
I, and I am sure others, would love to hear what is...
josey11
Problems with HVAC in 1958 Cape Cod
I've been reading the blogs here and hope that the...
ginaff58
Insulating floor on my raised home in Louisiana.
We recently installed solar panels on our home. We...
ktyler1320
Can a house and cottage share a condenser?
I have a house (1000sf) and cottage (440sf) with about...
aptosca
Baseboard heater thermostats
We are looking to install (2) 120v baseboard heaters...
stephja007
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™