considerations for second-floor washer/dryer?

Circus PeanutJanuary 27, 2013

hi there,
We're considering relocating our laundry from basement to second floor of the house (that's the first floor for you Europeans). Upstairs with the bedrooms, in other words.

House is very solid but built in 1910, stick frame with plaster walls, and we want to minimize the vibration damage, or at least gain an understanding of the issues involved.

We have a great plumber who will put in a custom overflow floor drain for us, and the target laundry room is a small bedroom off the bathroom sharing piping walls with the bathroom. We don't anticipate any issues with straight-shot venting to the exterior wall.

We are huge Miele lovers and have planned to invest in a new Miele set (regular models not stackable), but are concerned with the greater weight and sensitive balance issues of the frontloader.

Can anyone weigh in with experiences putting in a laundry room on the second floor, and/or washer and dryer model recommendations? Many thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kristen Hallock

I am also considering moving my Washer/Dryer to the 2nd floor. Right now they are in a mudroom area on the main floor of the house. Its crowded and we have piles of laundry everywhere. Its unsightly.

We have a small room over our garage that is rarely used. We are thinking of moving our washer/dryer up there. If it leaks it would only be over the garage, so not as big a deal I am thinking. We have a large LG Tromm Steamwasher and a large dryer. Front-loading. We just have to get hot/cold water up there and a gas line since we have a gas dryer.

Bookmark   January 28, 2013 at 9:42AM
karencon

I designed my home 19 years ago from top to bottom, drawings and all. If there is one thing that was the best choice, is was the second floor laundry room. For me it is acutally the third level because we are built on stilts and my main level is actually our second level. Most of the laundry is one the bedroom level..............by all means go for it.

Bookmark   January 30, 2013 at 8:07PM
karencon

............and do consider a floor drain. Our laundry room houses the water tank as well. The floor drain has already saved our dining room ceiling once.

Bookmark   January 30, 2013 at 8:14PM
More Discussions
New Electrolux washing machine
Hi, I just got a new 70 series front load washer. When...
hollowayl
Laundry room reveal
We just updated our laundry/mud room after years of...
kooopons
i just want somebody to fix my speed queen!!!!!!
So the timer has been acting up on my AWN542 for a...
beaglenc
Vibration reduction in compact washers - Whirlpool vs. Asko?
We recently moved into a new house and are considering...
mannyzen76
Goodbye Kenmore HE2T/Whirlpool Sport, I hate you!
Im so done with this piece of junk washing machine....
Mark
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™