need a new condensation pump for central AC

melissastarMay 26, 2011

And I know nothing about this stuff. But it looks as if the pump cost itself isn't that bad, judging from what I see online. And it certainly doesn't look hard to install. But can someone help me figure out what (ie. how big) a pump I need? I have absolutely no idea where the water drains out, but I'm thinking it's a long haul. The AC unit is on the second floor of a three floor row home. Just the tubing going up to the ceiing from the pump on the floor is at least nine feet.

Can anyone help please?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
juliekcmo

I suggest to go online, download the installation manual for the furnace or air handler, and determine the drain configuration.

Bookmark   May 26, 2011 at 11:24PM
veesubotee

Look at the specs for the pump you intend to buy; should have ample 'lift' (greater than 9').

You could size it by eye, as they are designed to empty when full. Take careful note of the wiring of the old unit, as some pumps have extra wires (beside power), wired to the furnace, to shut it off if the pump will not empty (safety switch). If yours is so equipped, good idea to replace with same type.

If you have a high efficiency furnace (90+%), you want an acid resistant pump.

V

Bookmark   May 27, 2011 at 2:43PM
melissastar

Well, upon further experimentation it appears that I don't need a new pump. When I fill it with water, it does work.

The question now is whether the pvc pipe that drained into it was blocked (doesn't appear to have been) and whether replacing it will solve the problem.

It broke when I was trying to get the pump out of the tight space it was in, so it must be replaced and I can't identify any other leaks, but....

Bookmark   May 27, 2011 at 6:30PM
More Discussions
Pls tell me the best uses for Carrier Air Handler Model # FV4CNF003
Hi GW, I am stuck with a new 2012 air handler/heat...
ontariomom
How to heat this room?
Hi folks! First post in this forum. I live in ec Iowa....
sparky_10
Are mini-splits a bad idea.
I have lived in both Europe and the Middle East and...
bry911
Nozzle size for Oil Burner ??
I have a Slant fin oil furnace that heats my water...
big_al_41
Greenspeed, is this setup ideal/ worth it?
I am building up on my house (cape style) in Long Island...
David
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™