average cost for a 2 ton replacement system

declfiMay 26, 2007

What is the average cost to have a 2 ton air cond system replacement 13 seer.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bob_brown

It depends on the brand of euipment and the installer. One installer may want $10,000 for a Goodman 13 SEER system, and another installer may want $6000 for the same equivelent Carrier system. The Carrier is more costly.

If the installation is straightforward replacement in Dallas, I would probably charge $3000 for a permitted job. I also do a modified Man J for free, many times.

Bookmark   May 26, 2007 at 11:54PM
daddo

Exactly what it's worth to do a proper job. No two are the same.

Bookmark   May 27, 2007 at 12:34AM
mr_havac

"I also do a modified Man J for free, many times."
Modified??? Ahh, why would you modify it? Is there some fault in thier calculation process that you care to share with us?

Bookmark   May 27, 2007 at 11:10PM
bob_brown

No, TXU my electric supplier modified the Man J many years ago for my climate. I still like to use it. It is quicker than the full Man J, with less to consider. BTW, TXU is one of the larger electric suppliers in the world.

Bookmark   May 28, 2007 at 1:21AM
ckmb5150

Is this "modified manual J" a dallas-area only thing? Im right down the road in Waco and havent heard of a modifed manual J.

Bookmark   May 28, 2007 at 1:39AM
bob_brown

TXU offered the form to e-ok contractors in the early 80's. It had several multipliers built in to the calculations. I wrote a software application for a worksheet and contract, that I used for many years. Since I do very little new installation today, I havent seen the form for many years. I am sure it is in one of my desk drawers. It was not called a modified anything. I compared it to the man J in the 1980's and this is what I use as a descriptive label. The biggest difference is the assumed multipliers. I believe I was using it with 95 degrees ambient. This needs to be changed. Since I have recently started to do installs again, it has not been needed. I like to limit myself to repairs, but I have an investor that has a lot of replacement from theft.

Bookmark   May 28, 2007 at 11:01AM
remodeler08

In Raleigh North Carolina we normaly charge $3800.00 to $4200.00. We are changing out a two ton gas pack for $3500.00 today. We will be changing out a 2 ton split system for $4000.00 later this week.

The split system will include: 13 SEER heat pump, air handler, line-set, unit pad, digital thermostat, mechanical and electrical inspections, disposal of existing equipment and one year labor warranty and five year equipment warranty.

In New Orleans, we changed out a 3-ton split system for FREE.

Does this help?

Bookmark   May 29, 2007 at 12:30PM
mike13

Re: "What is the average cost to have a 2 ton air cond system replacement 13 seer."

By system that normally means the condensing
unit, the evaporator coil, furnace, airhandler, & lineset.

Is this what you are referring to or are you just talking about the outside condensing unit? Is this an A/C unit or a heat pump?

Bob, regarding "No, TXU my electric supplier modified the Man J many years ago for my climate." Does that take into account the 100 plus days per year above 100 degrees for your climate? You make me laugh w/ the "modified Manual J". Any Manual J program in use today has standard values for a particular area (i.e. city, zip code, etc) that can then be changed/modified to a particular person's desire.

Bookmark   May 29, 2007 at 1:56PM
More Discussions
Enery efficiency of exposed ductwork?
What are your thoughts on the energy efficiency of...
ccintx
Neighbor Finally Upgrades to Heat Pump
My next door neighbor finally took my advice and upgraded...
newtalk2
Need help choosing an efficient HRV Air Exchanger
Hi, My house as a total area of 2300 square feet (1150*x)....
Jim_Lafleur
carrier infinity with greenspeed service settings
We just built a new home in central Kansas this year,...
Energywise.ks
Navian condensing combi, good or bad?
Hi, I am looking into converting from oil to gas and...
rickyk22
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™