GE vs Maytag?

fostermomJanuary 24, 2012

Hope someone can give me some advice! We have a home warranty company that said they will either give us a GE WCVH6800JWW or give us $591 towards one that we purchase. I called a company that I bought our Neptune from years ago and they recommended a Maytag MHWE450. The reviews I read on that one are not very good. Any suggestions for me? We have 5 kids and need a large, reliable washer.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Nunyabiz1

Maytag is now Whirlpool BTW.

I can only suggest what we ended up buying which was a LG WT5101 Waveforce, we got it for $728 although that was a very good price for it. You might be hard pressed to find it for much less than $800 I think.
We have only had it for 4 months so have no idea about the reliability yet, but as far as functionality it is great.
4.5cu.ft tub, quiet, seems to be well made.
Has an internal heater, so far we couldn't be more pleased with it.

Bookmark   January 26, 2012 at 4:31PM
mara_2008

I can't recommend GE. A friend's is a GE repairman and he says that the new GE appliances are often built with old parts. I didn't know this until I had a disastrous experience with a GE dishwasher a few years ago.

I bought a Maytag Bravos HE TL with an internal water heater. The heater works on almost all cycles, and I use it every time I need true hot or warm water. The capacity of my washer is listed as 5 cu ft, but I don't think they're making them quite that big now. The model number includes 875.

When I use it for true hot water, including the Sanitize cycle, the water is much too hot to touch and it steams up the washer lid. It is hotter than 140F water from the hot water heater. I don't have to use Clorox on white cottons anymore, only OxyClean.

My washer does not twist or tangle laundry, but my former traditional washers w/agitators did.

I wash for a large family and the Bravos has cut my washer loads per week from 10+ down to 3-5. It is also a big help that I can wash comforters, don't have to spend megabucks at the laundromat.

Bookmark   January 29, 2012 at 2:24AM
mara_2008

I meant to say that a friend's dh is a GE repairman and he says that new GE appliances are often built with old parts.

Bookmark   January 29, 2012 at 2:27AM
suburbanmd

Can you get your friend's DH to elaborate? Does he mean "new old" parts or used parts? Which parts?

Bookmark   January 29, 2012 at 11:36AM
mara_2008

Well, that's another "oops". I had meant to say "used" parts.

Bookmark   January 29, 2012 at 4:28PM
manitobasky

I'm pretty sure if GE was doing this Whirlpool would make sure the world knew the truth, unless they do the same thing.... I can see them using refurbished parts for warranty repairs.

Bookmark   January 29, 2012 at 6:17PM
mara_2008

GE has been doing this for more than 10 years.

Bookmark   January 29, 2012 at 6:39PM
manitobasky

Proof?

Bookmark   January 29, 2012 at 9:09PM
mara_2008

I take the word of the repairman, who has been a GE repairman for several decades. He certainly has no reason to lie. I've also seen this mentioned at other boards online. I can't give you more proof than that, so you can choose what to believe.

Bookmark   January 30, 2012 at 1:10AM
dadoes

It's reasonable that some items that are returned for warranty -- such as electronic boards, or even motors that comprise multiple components such as bearings, stators, rotors, and start switches -- would be repaired (factory refurbished) and used again. However, it's not plausible to me that reuse would apply to discrete parts that suffer mechanical wear such as belts or dryer drum support slides.

I have run across repairpersons who have thoughts/opinions/conceptions that are wrong. Just saying ...

Bookmark   January 30, 2012 at 9:02AM
More Discussions
Need help choosing a large capacity washer- whats the least bad option
I really want a Miele or a Speed Queen. That said,...
mwinfield
Fisher+Paykel Eco Intuitive not working properly
Hello, I hope someone out there can help me! I have...
varietypack
Favorite detergents again, please.
What are your favorite detergents (specify liquid or...
isherwood777
Speed Queen washer
When you all are discussing your Speed Queen, did you...
maylingsmom
Dryer: Changing from gas to electric?
Hi, Wondering what the experiences of folks who have...
dan_no_9
Sponsored Products
27" Black Granite Stone Single Trough Bathroom Sink - CORSICA SHADOW
Living'ROC
Le Klint 172 Pendant by Le Klint
$434.40 | Lumens
Remer by Nameeks A09VS06US Shower Set - REMER A09VS06US
Hayneedle
Avanity NAPA-VS24-DC-C Napa 24 in. Vanity Combo with White Marble Top
$918.75 | Blue Bath
Ge' Suspension by Kartell
$320.00 | Lumens