Kenmore top-load washer

ttv1March 14, 2009

I have a Kenmore Automatic washer model #110.20872992 (80 series, Heavy Duty, Super Capacity plus) installed new in the year 2000. Five years later, the coupling needed to be replaced. Two years after that, replaced again. It has been a little more than a year and I'm pretty sure that's what just broke again. Is there a warranty on this part? A recall? Could it have been installed improperly by the independent appliance repair co. I have been using. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dadoes

This does sometimes happen. I replaced the coupler on my parents' KitchenAid (same mechanical design as your Kenmore), and it broke again about 1.5 to 2 years later. The latest replacement couplers have a metal bushing which should last longer. An improper install can cause early failure, but coupler replacement is a common repair, doesn't seem likely an experienced servicer would have a problem with it.

Heavy loads (large throw rugs for example, Mom did say she had washed a rug prior to the recurring incident) can cause the coupler to break. Washing shoes is also a common cause, they get jammed between the basket and agitator fins. If none of this applies to your use of the machine, and the coupler breaks yet again within a few weeks or couple months, I'd suspect a developing problem with the transmission. Two years, not so much.

Bookmark   April 15, 2009 at 4:06AM
More Discussions
New Front Load Speed Queens
Hi everyone, we are replacing our old GE's- adding...
remodnana
Fisher Paykel Washer/Dryer
Sears is now carrying Fisher Paykel washers and dryers....
phyllisb
Need help choosing a large capacity washer- whats the least bad option
I really want a Miele or a Speed Queen. That said,...
mwinfield
Ok to only use cold water hookup on washing machine?
Hello, My washing machine is in a location with only...
jmoscone
Persil at Walmart!
I was looking through the walmart flyer and I saw that...
andi2928
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™