Venting a basement dryer...through the window or concrete block??

susanloewJanuary 11, 2005

We have a basement dryer which the PO never used and was never vented exteriorly. What would be the best way to vent it? Through a basement window? Through cement block in our foundation? How do we go about venting this or who do we hire for such a job? We have tried other interior venting techniques, but our basement is still getting too wet from the dryer. Please help our moist basement.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ibjb

If you can't gather enough information from the mfrs. installation instructions to feel comfortable doing it yourself, call a licensed HVAC contractor.

Window exhaust can be an option in some cases, some locales prohibit this though. Do realize that you will need to inspect and clean the ductwork and if leaves were to collect in a window well it could pose a fire hazard.

Also, various birds/critters may find a way to enter through the hood so get a good quality unit with a damper door and do a visual inspection of it a few times a year.

Bookmark   February 16, 2006 at 11:15PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karabella

When we first bought our house, the basement dryer was vented up through the wall to the outside. It was not getting the clothes dry so we had it vented straight out through the concrete block to the outside at the same level as the vent on the dryer. Our plumber said the higher you go with the venting, the less efficient it is. Our plumber did the work. It has made a world of difference. Now our clothes get dry the first time around instead of having to start the dry cycle a second or even third time! Good luck!

Bookmark   July 19, 2007 at 12:39PM
More Discussions
Eco Nuts Laundry Detergent
Has anyone here used these before. Saw them on Shark...
brentb21
Laundry room reveal
We just updated our laundry/mud room after years of...
kooopons
Do you put powder detergent in dispenser in front loader?
I finally finished the big bottle of liquid detergent...
marti8a
Mystery holes in cotton knits
My husband and I have been perplexed for over a year...
nicoletouk
List price for new Speed Queens?
Looking at the new front loaders like everyone else...
jormydog
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™