SF Bay Area- replacing floor/wall furnace- with?

lisa02May 1, 2012

We're in contract on a small house (1400 sf) - split level design that currently has a floor furnace (which the home inspector said today is a safety hazard for multiple reasons that he found in the crawl space) on the main level and a wall furnace on the upper level (no heating in the lower level - with a 'bonus' room and bath that we intend to use as master bed/bath).

I have had a good experience with a minisplit in our previous house for a garage conversion... I am trying to figure out our options so I'm able to have a good conversation wtih the HVAC vendors we'll ask.

So far, in my limited research:

1. REplace floor furnace and live with wall furnace until it needs replacing (probably cheapest option).

2. Minisplit with multiple wall units (we'd have to figure out how to handle the upstairs 3 bedrooms with just one (maybe two wall units up there- the rooms are small...)

3. baseboard heating of some sort-- not sure how expensive that would be to run piping.

4. install forced air- not sure how to run ductwork for 2nd level as there is not much attic space up there.

Thanks for any advice! I did do some searches- but much of what is posted doesn't seem as relevant to california...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
heatseeker

Stick with wall furnace its the cheapest and most affordable if price is an issue.

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 8:33AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ionized_gw

Be aware that there are mini split air handlers that you can use with short ducts to supply more than one room. That might work in your upper floor. Electricity is expensive in CA, though so heating with heat pumps vs. gas is not like other parts of the country.

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 2:33PM
More Discussions
HVAC question
I live near Charlotte NC and have a new Bryant Hybrid...
gtodd1966
Geothermal vs Carrier Greenspeed
I am looking to replace my current Heatpump. I have...
mkrafczyk
New Bryant legacy vs 5 year old carrier infinity
My parents need a new a.c., There's is broken and probably...
David
Any Reviews/Feedback on Daikin HVAC (Dallas)
Anyone install a Daikin HVAC system yet? We are in...
DallasArts
foul smell from gas furnace vents
Please help. We have a gas furnace (only 2 years old)...
taracol
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™