M1 question

socksDecember 26, 2008

I am making a stuffed animal that calls for M1. The pattern says to do this:

"Make 1 stitch by picking up and working into back of loop between last st and next st."

Would that be the M1R or M1B on the left side of the attached link?

---------------------------------------------------------

One other question, please:

Row 12 is a knit row.

Rows 13-39 says to do stockinette.

I guess I should just start Row 13 as a purl row, right? Then alternate K & P through Row 39.

Many thanks.

Susan

Here is a link that might be useful: M1 examples

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Lindsey_CA

I was going to refer you to KnittingHelp.com, until I realized that that's what your link leads to... :-/

I've managed to avoid patterns that call for a M1, so I'm no help at all. Do your pattern instructions give you any clues where it gives a little explanation of the stitches? (It should.)

I can tell you, though, that you're correct in your assumption on the rows 13-39 question. :-)

Bookmark   December 27, 2008 at 3:16AM
sandra_ferguson

Mi is just make one..often I just knit into the front and the back of the same stitch...if I were you, though, I'd get some scrap yarn and just experiment with making a stitch.....try all the methods....they all have a slightly different look, some create holes (that's a yo or yarn over), but that's nice in some places...
Here's what your M1R, M1L mean.... (again, the way you do this determines which direction the made stitch 'leans'

M1R - With left needle, lift loop between stitches by moving needle tip from back to front and knit into the front of loop to make a stitch that slants to the right
M1L - With left needle, lift loop between stitches by moving needle tip from front to back and knit into the back of loop to make a stitch that slants to the left

Bookmark   December 27, 2008 at 10:38AM
socks

Sandra and Lindsey--thank you so much for your help. After I studied it some more, I think it's M1F (or M1L). All those versions just gave me brain freeze. It says it's a tight increase with no hole, which would make sense for a stuffed animal.

I appreciate your help.

Susan

Bookmark   December 27, 2008 at 10:58AM
More Discussions
reading a rowan pattern
I'm new to Rowan patterns and am puzzled from the beginning....
mdwimm
How to make a rattail?
I remember when I was real young, we would put some...
barb_roselover_in
I want to learn to knit or crochet.
I have no one to teach me. Which is easier to learn...
eclair
crochet hook size
If you use a bigger hook will the product be bigger?...
casi
Knitting or crocheting? Which one first?
I would like to learn to knit and crochet. I've tried...
newgardenelf
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™