unusual piece

donna322December 21, 2007

Hi all..a friend found a "vintage" piece at an antique store. Here is a description....It looks like a linen/doily. It is 3 layers tacked in various positions. On the top layer is a criss-cross of ribbons. When the ribbons are all brought up together it raises the 3 layers of doilies and little openings appear where they are all tacked together....sort of like 3 stories of little pyramid openings. Its like a solid linen with some lacey/crocheted edges. I wish I had a pic...I don't at the moment but can get one if need be....does anyone have any idea what this was used for? The owner guessed that buns (as in bread) were placed in the openings which makes no sense to me but what do I know????Does anyone else know?? Any helps much appreciated!

Donna

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sheilajoyce_gw

I would also guess buns. You put it in a basket, fill the holes with buns warm from the oven. Or...you put it in a basket with the room temp buns in their little holes, cover the top with a napkin, and warm it all up in the microwave.

Bookmark   December 21, 2007 at 9:36PM
clink

Definitely, a bun warmer. Usually, Belgium made. I have 2-3 of them. You slip them into a silver basket -- I use a footed fruit bowl at times.

They are still being produced -- I have bought them as wedding gifts in the past for women that appreciate handmade things. Retail price depends on the amount of lace -- the last one I bought was $45. But I have bought them for as little as $3 at flea markets and antique shops.

Cathy

Bookmark   December 22, 2007 at 10:42AM
donna322

wow thanks for the replies....are there patterns available for this? I had originally done a google search and came up with nothing....thanks in advance

Bookmark   December 23, 2007 at 3:15PM
More Discussions
craft fairs
What have you found that is selling good this yr? Thanks. Hope...
sorie6
Looking for pattern
Hi everyone..... Hope you had a great Christmas. I...
francy13
Shoulder Sling Purse
Hi Would anyone happen to have this pattern to share?...
dollydolots
plain knit scarf
I am knitting a scarf--just plain knit stitch, no purl....
barb_roselover_in
Bargello-like Long Crochet Potholder pattern
When I was a kid (70's?), I made my mom some potholders...
lascatx
Sponsored Products
Clara Table Lamp in Raindrop with Harvest Shade
Lamps Plus
Glen Isle Swivel Outdoor Rocker/Dining Arm Chair Cushion, Patio Furniture
$129.00 | FRONTGATE
White Intersecting Squares Decorative Wall Shelf
Overstock.com
Lasso Bronze Two-Light Bath Fixture with Opal Matte Glass
$229.50 | Bellacor
Dolce Tall Suspension by Corbett Lighting
$5,318.00 | Lumens