knitting tail help

andreau0101December 22, 2008

I am VERY new to knitting. I casted off for the first time using the 'continental method' or long tail. I caught on very quickly. After I have casted on, I still have about 2" of the tail still at the top. What do I do with the tail? Do I tie it off, cut it off, etc? I have found that when I just leave it there and try to knit the next row, it gets in the way but it is also too short to push aside.

Any suggestions are wonderful.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donna_loomis

There are several ways to deal with the tail. If you are knitting that has a definite front and back, and the back will not be seen, you can just knit the tail in when knitting your first row. I would leave about a 9" tail to do it this way.

Or you can weave the end in with a needle.

Here is a link that might be useful: weaving ends in as you knit

Bookmark   December 22, 2008 at 8:56PM
andreau0101

thank you, I will try that

Bookmark   December 23, 2008 at 9:13AM
sandra_ferguson

I like to leave the tail evident, till I finish whatever it is I'm working on, to clearly show the beginning of the work (I generally work in the round, so I've found this is a good way to instantly know if I'm approaching the "beginning" of a new row. When I've finished I work it through the finished product, in and out....sometimes I use a blunt nosed wool needle, but more often, just use a crochet hook....and, be sure to do this from the front side, so you can see what you're doing on the part of the product that will be seen. I generally work one way for a while and then completely reverse directions....thinking that turn will keep my tail from accidentally being pulled out.

Bookmark   December 23, 2008 at 12:26PM
More Discussions
Need vintage pattern please
I am hoping someone can help me. I lost the pattern...
francy13
Looking for free pattern
I am looking for a free knit pattern for a little girls...
krazyknitter
knitted rippled afghan
I would like to use up some scrapes of yarn and make...
mystic_2008
Looking for pattern
Hi everyone..... Hope you had a great Christmas. I...
francy13
Looking For Annie's bed doll crochet Collections
Hi I am interested in collecting Annie's bed doll crochet...
rj2ajs6
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™