socks knit on 11' or 12' circular needles?

Sue_FishDecember 14, 2005

I wondered if anyone had patterns on line for these and would be willing to share some info about them...hard to work with the short circular needle?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donna_loomis

Sue, it is a little difficult at first to work with the short circulars, but I would think that the piece would stretch too tightly across the 12" circulars, wouldn't they? The circumference of my foot at it's widest point is just over 8". You could try a pattern that is knit on straight needles and then seamed.

Bookmark   December 14, 2005 at 4:37PM
Sue_Fish

Thanks...I know I have heard of patterns for using this size circular needle but haven't found one..I just did some on 5 dp needles and that isn't bad really but just curious about different patterns and methods etc..I am very curious about doing them on the 40" long circular needle too...ha ha maybe I should stick to the simple good old double pointed needles but always curious....

Bookmark   December 14, 2005 at 5:33PM
donna_loomis

Sue, I think you're talking about the "magic loop" method, sometimes using 2 circulars, sometimes just one long one. I want to try that sometime, too.

Bookmark   December 14, 2005 at 6:08PM
Sue_Fish

i HAVE SEEN THE MAGIC LOOP METHOD ON LINE AND YET NOT TRIED IT..THAT CALLS FOR A 40" CIRCULAR NEEDLE AND i HAVE FOUND PATTERNS CALLING FOR THE 11" OR 12" BUT THEY ARE MADE USING WORSTED WEIGHT YARN AND THEN THERE ARE PATTERNS USING THE 2 CIRCULAR NEEDLES RATHER THAN DP'ED NEEDLES...WANT TO TRY THEM ALL! WHAT FUN

Bookmark   December 28, 2005 at 10:52AM
sarasal

I just searched on "magic loop sock knitting" and found a number of websites. There is a site www.socknitters.com which looks very interesting. Note "socknitters" has only one 'k'. I don't have time to fully research the site completely, but they do have a pdf file for the magic loop method. Check it out.
I'm hoping to try my first socks in the near future.
Sally

Bookmark   December 28, 2005 at 2:02PM
Sue_Fish

Sally thanks for the info about the site..will look into it!
I am really hooked on knitting socks..started my first pair Dec 11th and since have finished those and one other pair and nearly finished the 3rd pair...have a lot of yarn with just 2 or 3 balls of this or that so it is great way to use it up...

Bookmark   December 28, 2005 at 3:53PM
beckycoleman

I knit all my socks on two 39" circular needles. I bought long ones so that I can use them for other things as well. I never thought I could ever knit socks so I am very proud of myself. I use Cat Bordhi's book. I knit all the straight bits ie the leg and the foot on a 12" circular needle. I do have big feet though size 8 English. Using a short circular needle means that your socks look very neat and do not have ladders up the sides.

Bookmark   December 8, 2006 at 7:27AM
tami_ohio

Sue, I have used the 12" circulars for socks. You don't need a special pattern. Use the one you like the best. It really stretches the cuff area until you get a few rounds knitted, then it's fine. It takes some getting used to to hold the short needles comfortably. I do find that my hands and fingers cramp more using the 12" than they do with the 40". I had to use another needle to do the heel when I used the 12", as I was uncomfortable in that small of an area with just one 12", then I went back to the 12". I do almost all my socks the magic loop method. I find that using one needle instead of 4-5 double points goes faster because I'm not changing needles as often, and I don't drop and loose needles that way. I am ALWAYS dropping my double points and loosing them down in my chair or the seat of the car! Oh, and I wear anywhere from an 8 1/2 to a 10 1/2 size shoe, American sizes. Besides being a very fluffy person, so my calves are larger. I usually cast on 68 or 72 sts. If I cast on 72 sts, I decrease at the ankle back down to 68 sts to finish my socks.

Tami

Bookmark   December 8, 2006 at 9:29AM
threejsmom

Here's a link to the site from which I learned magic loop. There's also a link to 2 circulars. Like Tami, I was always dropping DPNs or pulling out the wrong one.
I like magic loop better than 2 circulars because there's only 1 needle to buy and fuss with. Get a 40 inch with a good flexible cable like Addis or Knitpicks. Clover does sell 8 inch plastic circulars which may be better than the 12 inch but they're still hard on your hands. If you learn magic loop, you need only buy 40 inch circulars in the future and do regular knitting as well as small cirumferences like sleeves and hats on only 1 needle.

Here is a link that might be useful: Magic loop

Bookmark   December 8, 2006 at 9:44AM
tami_ohio

I also start both socks at the same time. If you are using one 100g ball of yarn re-wind it into two balls. By starting both at once, you can make sure you are starting both socks at the same place in the yarn color sequence. Of course, if you are using solid color yarn, it doesn't make any difference. But, I have probably 4 sets of #2 circulars that I mainly use for socks. I sometimes have more than one pair going at one time. Especially if I go on vacation and don't take any with me! I have been known to stop at a yarn shop and buy needles and sock yarn so I can knit in the car, when I didn't take any with me! Which of course, means more needles and more yarn for the stash, because I can't buy just one.......There are always more than one color sock yarn I find!

Tami

Bookmark   December 11, 2006 at 9:48AM
More Discussions
Looking for free pattern
I am looking for a free knit pattern for a little girls...
krazyknitter
looking for Annies Attic Dainty Dress Up Pattern
Does anyone out there have or know where I can get...
nursemom
Teddy Bear Afghan
The picture of this isstill in the gallery. It is just...
minnie_tx
Need Musical Notes/Instruments Afghan ideas...
I am thinking ahead to October. My daughter's boyfriend...
profsusan
Looking for Annie's Attic pattern club newsletter binders
I am looking for the small binders for the pattern...
Liz Wright Eads Fitch
Sponsored Products
9-Clip Lost Socks Wall Rack
| Dot & Bo
Cashmere Bunny Personalized A Special Delivery Boy's Gift Basket - ASD-B
$108.99 | Hayneedle
Cedar Socks Box - Set of Two
Signature Hardware
Light Sock Pendant by Swarovski
$6,505.00 | Lumens
Lifelike Scary Peeper Halloween Figure
Grandin Road