I cord trim question

sheilajoyce_gwDecember 28, 2007

How do you put an I cord trim directly on the edges of a sweater? The only I cord I have ever knit was the stem of the apple for an apple hat.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donna_loomis

Sheila, there are a couple of ways to apply I-Cord as you knit. This is the one I've used (scroll down the page):

Here is a link that might be useful: Applied I-Cord

Bookmark   December 28, 2007 at 5:14PM
sheilajoyce_gw

Thanks, Donna. I could not figure it out. I have printed out the instructions for later use. I think I will try knitting Elizabeth Zimmerman's Baby Surprise Jacket for my DD's SILs expected baby. Time to try it, and I do like the looks of the applied I Cord edge for it too. I am going to try knitting it in lots of bright stripes of solid, bright acrylic yarns as this is an allergic family and our babies don't get wool clothing.

Bookmark   December 28, 2007 at 7:21PM
donna_loomis

Well, look what I found, Sheila. A video. The technique is a little different, but it works. Of course, I'd add at least one more stitch.

Here is a link that might be useful: attached I-cord

Bookmark   December 28, 2007 at 10:03PM
sheilajoyce_gw

Well, I tried the gauge for the BSJ in Caron's Simply Soft. I need to use a sport yarn instead. Wish I could find some nice colors in sport yarn at Michael's, but it is all baby pastels, and the mom wants bright colors. Still experimenting.

Bookmark   December 29, 2007 at 7:50PM
donna_loomis

Well, you might check out smileysyarns.com. They have some great prices on sport yarn. They have a nice royal blue and I don't remember the other colors. Of course, you have to place a $40 minimum order. Somebody's got to do it, right?

Bookmark   December 29, 2007 at 11:37PM
sheilajoyce_gw

I have discovered one warning about attached I cord. If you are doing a neckline, you will definitely want to consider using larger needles than what you used to knit the sweater.

Bookmark   January 4, 2008 at 2:23AM
sandra_ferguson

Boy, I hadn't read this thread before, and I'm sure glad I finally did....it looks like a wonderful technique and I've copied and pasted the info from the site, in case it disappears before I have a chance to use it. Thanks for sharing! I'm putting another edge on what I'm working on now, and sure wish I'd read this before I got started.....
(Sandra, who is not ripping everything out to start
over)

Bookmark   January 4, 2008 at 8:07AM
sheilajoyce_gw

You can attach as you knit it, a la Elizabeth Zimmerman's instructions (which I did not do), or you can attach the I cord edge once the item is made, which is what I did. Looks nice on the sweater neckline which looked a little raw or incomplete before I did the I cord.

Bookmark   January 4, 2008 at 3:00PM
More Discussions
Looking for Annie's Attic pattern club newsletter binders
I am looking for the small binders for the pattern...
Liz Wright Eads Fitch
Bargello-like Long Crochet Potholder pattern
When I was a kid (70's?), I made my mom some potholders...
lascatx
Granny Square vest
I knit a lot while riding my exercise bike. I want...
barb_roselover_in
Have you done this?
I knitted a sweater. It was with a yarn that was the...
barb_roselover_in
Need vintage pattern please
I am hoping someone can help me. I lost the pattern...
francy13
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™