New construction with radiant, should I install high velocity AC

Liberty2May 2, 2012

Building a new home, 4500sq ft and will have radiant heat. Home will be in long island ny, It will be mostly ranch with high ceilings in most rooms that should allow heat to rise and fans.. Can anyone comment on if I should go high velocity or a standard duct system to cool the home?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
david_cary

High velocity is really for retrofit - it is more expensive and not as good. High ceilings are great and so are fans but a/c is a lot about humidity anyway.

Bookmark   May 3, 2012 at 5:09AM
ionized_gw

I hope you and your building professionals are planning on putting your ducts inside the house envelope.

Bookmark   May 3, 2012 at 2:48PM
david_cary

Ionized - while that is ideal, if they were in a crawl space or unfinished basement and only used for a/c, that really isn't a big deal.

Bookmark   May 4, 2012 at 5:40AM
ionized_gw

If the crawl space is sealed and within the envelope of the building, I would agree. If not, the the ducts are outside and that is generally something to avoid.

Bookmark   May 4, 2012 at 10:57AM
cheri127

Hi David Cary. Ionized is right. I have two beach houses, both with unsealed crawl spaces and the a/c ducts are in them. If the crawl space smells bad, the a/c smells bad. I have smart vents in one of the houses so was able to install a high efficiency dehumidifier which has done the job of keeping the moisture low enough to reduce the odor. Also, be careful what kind of insulation is used in the crawl space (between floor joists). In one of our homes, Dow Pink Panther was used and it smells like cat urine when it gets damp!

We have high velocity in our city home (retrofit 120 yr old house). We are very happy with it but I wouldn't install it in a new build, It's expensive, loud and not as efficient as a standard system. You can really hear the air rushing out of those small ducts.

Bookmark   May 17, 2012 at 7:38AM
More Discussions
Need help choosing an efficient HRV Air Exchanger
Hi, My house as a total area of 2300 square feet (1150*x)....
Jim_Lafleur
How to heat this room?
Hi folks! First post in this forum. I live in ec Iowa....
sparky_10
Navian condensing combi, good or bad?
Hi, I am looking into converting from oil to gas and...
rickyk22
Advice on HVAC & Insulation issues
I have a few questions that I would love to have input...
cinamn808
Insulating floor on my raised home in Louisiana.
We recently installed solar panels on our home. We...
ktyler1320
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™