I've received the following proposal, questions follow:
- Location - Houston, TX
-House is three story, 1st - smaller a/c system - 1,000 square feet; 2nd and 3rd story - larger a/c system - 1,400 and 300 respectively
- currently no hot or cold spots except the third floor can be warm if I do not lower the temp 1 or 2 degrees, or turn the fan to on when I'm on the 3rd floor (not used full time)
- current systems, builder Trane about 16 years old, 3 and 3-1/2 ton, with added Trane Clean Effects
One three ton and one 4 ton XL16i:
Condenser: 4TTX6048E, four ton
Evap Coil: TXH54
Parts and Labor: $11,399
Condenser: 4TTX6036E, three ton
Evap Coil: TXH033
Parts and Labor: $10,239
Less $1,500 if I do them at the same time.
1. Price reasonable?
2. Many negative comments regarding XL16i on this and other sites. My contractor addressed by saying if system is not installed correctly there will be issues. [They have been in business since 1945, we have been happy with them]. XL15i system would be approximately $1,500 less per system, less efficient. He has 16i in his home. Some of the negative comments are some time ago, are there still issues with this system? Should I be concerned enough to go to the Xl15i?
3. He said our lineset does not need to be changed, just flushed, it is bigger than needs to be and that is OK. Is it?
4. Some on this site recommend Honeywell thermostat. He said they look and operate the same. I understand the Honeywell is a bit cheaper, should I make an issue of this?
5. We think we need to purchase the extended warranty, installer did not push at all, just pointed out pros and cons when we asked about it. Recommended?
My neighbor has issues with this sytem, but they did not change out their 16 year old thermostat nor do I believe they have a variable speed furnace. So I think they are a good example of a poorly installed XL16i. How do I get comfortable with this big ticket expenditure? My installer is A+ BBB, and been in business for 60+ years.....
Thanks in advance for any input you may have. If you need more info please let me know.