seeking giant stocking pattern

kren_paDecember 19, 2007

hi all

i am new to this forum, but have been knitting about 20 years...sometimes more than other times. but i am absolutely not getting rid of my "extra yarn bin" ...ever!

i am trying to think ahead to next Christmas and am looking for a knitting pattern for a giant christmas stocking. i have a regular stocking pattern, but don't really know how to enlarge it (i have never been good at knitting socks). i don't need any special pattern on the stocking, i thought i would just use some christmas colored yarn. any ideas? thanks in advance kren

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tami_ohio

My very first stocking I made by enlarging a sock pattern. I cast on as many stitches as I wanted, rib knit the top as far down as I wanted, stockinette stitch as long as I wanted, knit the heel flap as usual, then for the "cup" of the heel, I think I still knit the 5 after the purl to center y/o p 2 tog, and finished the heel according to reg. sock instructions. Knit foot to lenght wanted, decrease toe, kitchener st. closed.

And I ALWAYS need a pattern! If I have time tomorrow, (it's 10:30 pm),I'll try to count it out for you. But, no promises, as I have a very full day tomorrow! It is about the size of a reg. store bought stocking, maybe a little bigger. I made it for my grandson 4 years ago.

Tami

Bookmark   December 19, 2007 at 10:32PM
gardenway

What size do you mean by giant? I've knitted some 18" long, "leg" width about 7", foot length (from heel to toe) about 11.5"
Knitted these some time ago, but quite sure I still have the pattern if you are interested.

Bookmark   December 20, 2007 at 10:40AM
tami_ohio

kren, I looked at the stocking I made this morning. I used worsted weight yarn and cast on 66 stitches, probably on at least a size 8 or 10 needle. I did about an inch of 2 x 2 ribbing, then started stockinette stitch. The heel flap is about 3 inches long. Hope this helps.

Tami

Bookmark   December 22, 2007 at 1:42PM
tami_ohio

Here is a link a picture of the stocking I made.

Here is a link that might be useful: stocking

Bookmark   December 22, 2007 at 2:39PM
tami_ohio

I'll try again later. I am using a new photo hosting site and am still learning to use it.

Bookmark   December 22, 2007 at 2:46PM
tami_ohio

Bookmark   December 22, 2007 at 3:29PM
kren_pa

wow thanks tami!! your stocking looks really nice, i like the wide stripes. i was thinking of a stocking really huge, like 3 foot long and 1 foot wide. i saw a picture of one once that they were giving away to babies born on christmas at a hospital...it was large enough to hold the baby with lots left over! thanks for your hints.

kren

Bookmark   December 24, 2007 at 11:49AM
tami_ohio

kren, then all you have to do is cast on enough stitches to make it as wide as you want, I think this one is about 8" across. I would make the ribbing about 4" wide if you are making one that big. Maybe wider. Then just knit until you have it cuff to heel as long as you want it, same with the foot after you knit the heel. If you want it 1' wide, try casting on 100 to 120 stitches with a size 8 or 10 needle.

Merry Christmas!

Tami

Bookmark   December 24, 2007 at 2:52PM
More Discussions
knitted rippled afghan
I would like to use up some scrapes of yarn and make...
mystic_2008
Searching for Columbia Minerva Christmas Stocking pattern
I am looking for a Columbia Minerva Santa Claus Christmas...
lmush
Bargello-like Long Crochet Potholder pattern
When I was a kid (70's?), I made my mom some potholders...
lascatx
Looking for pattern
Hi everyone..... Hope you had a great Christmas. I...
francy13
What have you made lately?
Made this scarf for my niece for Christmas. The photo...
Lindsey_CA
Sponsored Products
Possini Euro Design Tilda Gold Column Table Lamp
Euro Style Lighting
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Artistic Weavers Rugs Enigma Red Clay 3 ft. 3
Home Depot
Opium Table Lamp by Forestier
$522.00 | Lumens
Robert Louis Tiffany Praire Mission Art Glass Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Surya G5053 Goa Area Rug - G5053-268
$245.20 | Hayneedle
Contemporay Suzanis Multicolor Area Rug (7'10 x 9'10)
Overstock.com
Cocktail Napkins - COURTLY CHECK
$6.75 | Horchow
Shaggy Vibes Juniper Macadamia Nut Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 8 Ft. Rug
$238.40 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™