trellis yarn, ladder yarn whatever you want to call it.

clueless1959December 5, 2012

Anyone know of a good reliable source online to buy it from? Where I will not pay a fortune for shipping an handling?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tami_ohio

Do you mean the really ruffley stuff? Try JoAnn Fabrics. I believe it's called Sashay. I don't know how much it is, I don't know anyone who would wear the scarves made from it.

Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 11:29AM
Babka NorCal 9b

Frilly/ruffle yarn comes from many yarn makers, all slightly different. Mary Maxim has several pages in their catalog with different kinds. They are fun and fast and I've discovered that little girls LOVE the pink ones. So do the older gals in Palm Springs. They are fun to wear. Michaels has the Sashay on sale 2 balls for $8 every once in awhile. One ball will make a long scarf.

-Babka

Bookmark   December 8, 2012 at 6:50PM
justlinda

Actually the ladder yarn is something different than the Sashay. It is by Bernat and called Matrix. Can be seen at the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bernat Matrix Ladder Yarn

Bookmark   December 9, 2012 at 12:52PM
Babka NorCal 9b

They are all knit the same, using a top edge only, not the whole ribbon of yarn. Once you get the hang of it, it goes very quickly and when added to the edge of a regular yarn knitted garment, I think it is a lot of FUN!

-Babka

Bookmark   December 9, 2012 at 5:00PM
donna_loomis

Actually, the ladder/trellis yarn does not knit up using only the top edge. It's actually a rather narrow yarn (I wouldn't even really call it yarn).

Clueless, have you used any of the ladder/trellis yarn? I bought several balls of it a few years ago and I HATE it. I don't know how much you need or what color you want, but if you like, I can check this weekend and round up what I have left and let you know what I have. You could have it for the cost of the shipping. I REALLY don't like it.

Bookmark   December 14, 2012 at 2:19PM
Babka NorCal 9b

Well, I guess, I have never seen a "ladder/trellis" yarn as you describe. When I did a google search it brought up all those other yarns, of which I am familiar. Those do work using only the top edge. Donna, do you have a photo of it, because I cannot imagine it, and would like to see it.

-Babka

Bookmark   December 15, 2012 at 2:01AM
justlinda

Babka, check the link I posted above. It shows the ladder/trellis yarn.

Bookmark   December 15, 2012 at 3:06PM
Babka NorCal 9b

Just curious... How would you knit with that stuff if you don't use just the top thread?

-Babka

Bookmark   December 15, 2012 at 5:36PM
justlinda

I don't knit - I crochet, but the whole "ladder = top rail, bottom rail and colored steps" is treated/handled as a single thread. You knit or crochet the ladder thread the same as you would a single strand of yarn. Think of all 3 components of the ladder as you would a 3-ply yarn.
:)

Bookmark   December 15, 2012 at 7:04PM
Babka NorCal 9b

And what does that look like????? I think Donna got it right....not so good. I've seen the ribbon yarn from other makers and if you just knit that top string you get a layered piece that looks pretty good, but not with the big spaces in the Bernat yarn. Other ribbon yarns (that I've seen) don't have those empty spaces.

This is a whole new territory for me from "regular" twisted yarns. Much learning to do.

-Babka

Bookmark   December 15, 2012 at 11:40PM
justlinda

I personally don't like it....the look or crocheting with it.
:(

Bookmark   December 16, 2012 at 12:21AM
donna_loomis

In my opinion, it's kind of "slippery", and looks terrible if you try to weave in the ends. And they wouldn't stay weaved in anyway (remember - slippery). I ended up using a needle and thread and sewing down the ends. And it isn't soft or comfortable against your skin. Also, as justlinda said, you knit it as if it were one thread (the ones I've seen/used are very narrow).

Bookmark   December 19, 2012 at 12:42PM
More Discussions
Shoulder Sling Purse
Hi Would anyone happen to have this pattern to share?...
dollydolots
What have you made lately?
Made this scarf for my niece for Christmas. The photo...
Lindsey_CA
Crochet Owl Fingerless Gloves
If you have some left over yarn you can easily to make...
jane_green
Looking For Annie's bed doll crochet Collections
Hi I am interested in collecting Annie's bed doll crochet...
rj2ajs6
Teddy Bear Afghan
The picture of this isstill in the gallery. It is just...
minnie_tx
Sponsored Products
nuLOOM Handmade Flatweave Moroccan Trellis Cotton Rug (8' x 10')
Overstock.com
Highlands Harper Twin over Twin Bunk Bed - FUB588
$899.00 | Hayneedle
Standard Diamond-Trellis Sham - TAUPE
$185.00 | Horchow
Ambiance Bisque LED Big Rectangular Wall Sconce with Closed Top
$330.00 | Bellacor
Capital LED Tall Wall Sconce by SONNEMAN Lighting
$470.00 | Lumens
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Well Woven Rugs Mirage Lattice Light Blue 7 ft.
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™