Propane Heat

politronicsMay 23, 2013

Hi all!

I have been trying to figure out what changes to make to my heating system and I am at a loss.

I have a 4200 SqFt house. The 2nd floor is heated (and cooled) using a forced air system. This system also heats my master bedroom/bath and the laundry room, both on the first floor, and at opposite ends of the house.

In the rear middle of the house is an open eating/kitchen/living room area (about 650 SQFT.) It has a free standing older (1996) Regency free standing propane stove.

In the front middle of the house there is a dinging room and another smaller living room. It has a Regency propane insert.

The winters here can drop down below zero, but usually hover around high single digits at night up to 35-40 during the day. At it's peak, my propane bill runs $500 every three weeks, and I'm still cold. THe forced air system works great, but the freestanding unit do next to nothing if you aren't standing right next to them. I hardly even turn on the one in the front room, as all it does is buring propane and doesn't seem to add anything to the overall temp.

I was considering a wood stove on the first floor, but the remodeling necessary to install the chimney is rediculous.

I am considering changing the Regency stove to the Hampton H35 as it has more BTUs and is more efficient. I can't find a single review of it. I am also considering getting a HVAC guy out to see if I can add vents to my forced air system to help heat these first floor rooms, perhaps put auto dampers on them to send the heat where it's needed.

Anyway, I am at a loss and looking for any input anyone has. I need to do something and I certainly don't want to make it any worse! Any ideas? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike_home

Do you use propane for the furnace which currently heats the second floor, master bedroom, and laundry? Where is the furnace located and how big is it?

The one furnace may not be able to adequately heat a 4200 sq. foot house in your climate. My suggestion would to install a second furnace with a separate duct system for the unheated area. If you don't have access to natural gas then it may be more cost effective to get a heat pump.

Bookmark   May 24, 2013 at 10:38AM
More Discussions
Does anyone have experience with an R6GI?
I'm looking at some options to replace one of my HVAC...
aggieben
Are mini-splits a bad idea.
I have lived in both Europe and the Middle East and...
bry911
Problems with HVAC in 1958 Cape Cod
I've been reading the blogs here and hope that the...
ginaff58
Neighbor Finally Upgrades to Heat Pump
My next door neighbor finally took my advice and upgraded...
newtalk2
Advice on HVAC & Insulation issues
I have a few questions that I would love to have input...
cinamn808
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™