High velocity systems and whole house dehumidifier

cheri127May 16, 2012

Hi. I'm new to this forum and hope someone can answer this question. I am interested in installing a whole house ventilator/dehumidifier in my old 3 story house. We have radiator heat and two high velocity a/c units; a two ton unit for the basement and 1st floor and a 3 ton unit for the 2nd and 3rd floors. The return for the downstairs unit is in the dining room floor and is a straight line to the air handler below. If the ventilator/dehumidifier (I'm thinking of Ultra-Aire) is installed in the basement in the a/c return duct then circulated back to the air handler, it will only dehumidify the air upstairs. Can anyone tell me whether it is possible to have a two branch return (one opening in the basement, one in the dining room) with a high velocity system? The basement door is always closed. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ralphk

If I understand your question correctly, you simply want two return air registers to go to the air handler. That is in fact possible. In fact, you could have more than two registers if you wanted. Your air handler simply wants a minimum sized return duct to ensure adequate airflow over the coils. It actually can't be too big. There is just a practical limit on the size of the duct work.

I have a high velocity system with two return registers that converge prior to entering the air handler. Works great.

High velocity systems tend to reduce humidity at a greater rate than conventional systems (it deals with the size of the blowers and airflow rate over the coils, etc...). Do you really think that you need a whole house ventilator/dehumidifier?

Bookmark   May 26, 2012 at 6:12AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ralphk

If I understand your question correctly, you simply want two return air registers to go to the air handler. That is in fact possible. In fact, you could have more than two registers if you wanted. Your air handler simply wants a minimum sized return duct to ensure adequate airflow over the coils. It actually can't be too big. There is just a practical limit on the size of the duct work.

I have a high velocity system with two return registers that converge prior to entering the air handler. Works great.

High velocity systems tend to reduce humidity at a greater rate than conventional systems (it deals with the size of the blowers and airflow rate over the coils, etc...). Do you really think that you need a whole house ventilator/dehumidifier?

Bookmark   May 26, 2012 at 6:35AM
More Discussions
Blown in insulation vs spray foam
I am looking for advice. I have a home built in 2000...
mkrafczyk
Has anyone found solution to HVAV Dirty Sock Syndrome
Two years ago I had a Trane heat pump installed in...
idreos
How to heat this room?
Hi folks! First post in this forum. I live in ec Iowa....
sparky_10
HVAC design
In determining the HVAC system to use in our new construction,...
bethmcg
Thoughts on proposed HVAC system?
To start: my house is two-level (main plus upper)...
gbleeker
Sponsored Products
Lithonia Lighting Outdoor Lighting. Dusk-to-Dawn Wall-Mount Outdoor Bronze Fluor
$49.97 | Home Depot
Barcus - Carnation
$43.00 | FabricSeen
Bolero LED Down Pendant with 4 In. Kiss Canopy by Bruck Lighting Systems
$400.80 | Lumens
Sutton Antique White Two Light Elements Crystal Wall Sconce
$350.00 | Bellacor
House of Troy Town House Nickel Swing Arm Wall Lamp
Lamps Plus
AICO Furniture - Palais Royale Curio - 71505-35
Great Furniture Deal
Delta Linear Suspension by Quorum International