mix match compressor blower 4 hvac 'pros' later still broken help

Mrfixit5May 6, 2012

Okay so i bought a house back in feb about 20 yrs old with original blower in the garage, however the outdoor unit is 4 years old. house caught fire contractors came in and did a horrible repair soldering copper lines no power no freon etc but the unit is fairly new outdoors.

1st guy rewired re joined lines with a better weld etc go to crank it and the motor was burned out charged $430 for wiring and soldering and poor troubleshooting

2nd guy replaced motor and said the compressor was bad because it would not take a charge so now fan spins theres still no freon in the system

3rd guy was suppose to replace the compressor because he was certified for the brand and the unit was still under warranty wants to charge 700 for freon and labor to put it in

4th guy (most professional so far) attached a capacitor to give the compressor a "boost" and it worked so the capacitor to the compressor is now fried no big deal a capacitor might be $50. But he wanted to try to sell me a new unit for 4600 claiming i dont have enough power and the coils inside might be leaking but he had no baisis for a procedure and i didnt want to pay for the charge to last a day if that

So at this point i have found a coil evaporator for the inside unit for 250 bucks on craigslist i dont want to buy it if there isnt even a leak ive read there are ways to check but so far no one has attempted that i dont know how it all works i guess im just trying to get professional advice from a non sales rep with some sort of understanding of the situation.

anything would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike_home

Here is my advice, but you may not like it.

Your best option is to cut your losses and replace the condenser, air handler, and lineset. I realize you are trying to salvage the 4 year old condenser, but at this point you are not sure what damage the fire or the three techs have done. In addition you will need to replace the 20 year old handler in the next few years. You will have to go through this process again.

In my opinion buying a coil for $250 on Carigslist is just throwing more good money after bad. No one is going to give you any gurantees the system will last more than a cooling season. Get some quotes from a qualified HVAC contractor for a complete AC system.

Bookmark   May 6, 2012 at 5:49PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
heatseeker

WHY YOUR AT IT BUY A USED CONDENSER AND USED AIR HANDLER TO MAKE YOUR SYSTEM COMPLETE.

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 8:31AM
More Discussions
Greenspeed, is this setup ideal/ worth it?
I am building up on my house (cape style) in Long Island...
David
Need help with my Heat Pump
I have a 2 ton carrier air handler that is 410-A compatible....
Jason Johnson
Geothermal vs Carrier Greenspeed
I am looking to replace my current Heatpump. I have...
mkrafczyk
Propane furnace
I am considering replacing propane furnace & A/C...
zver11
Heat pump choices for first timer. Advice??
Hello, First post, great place you all have here. We...
adayrider
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™