stocking cap directions

karan_in_oregonNovember 17, 2007

Hi,

I am a beginner knitter - I have made scarves with just knit stitches, no purl stitches. I can knit and purl and increase and decrease with much concentration. I need to have directions on how to make a stocking cap. It needs to be really easy.

It is for a 12 year old boy, my Grandson. He is small for his age. I told him I would make one for him, he wants a pom pom on top and in his school colors. Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donna_loomis

What about using a pattern for a Santa hat? Pretty much the same thing. I found this one that calls for a thick yarn. I bet if you use worsted weight instead and smaller needles, it would fit a young child.

Here is a link that might be useful: hat

Bookmark   November 17, 2007 at 11:27PM
karan_in_oregon

Donna, thank you for the pattern. I am going to try to make one - Karan

Bookmark   November 24, 2007 at 4:41PM
reapinjoy

I want to make a stocking cap and need to know what length of circular needles would be best. I just joined tonight and don't know how or where to post my question although I looked at the instructions and the help page. Can anybody advise me? I'm making the long stocking hat without a pattern, trying to make it look like one that a boy is wearing in the parade scene of the movie "A Christmas Story" as a favor to my future daughter-in-law.

Bookmark   December 5, 2007 at 3:25AM
donna_loomis

If you're hoping to make the cap using just one circular needle, then you will need a long one (at least 36") using the magic loop technique. If that is not what you are hoping to do, then there are two other options that I am aware of. First, you can use a 16" circular until your decreases make that needle too large and then you will have to begin using double pointed needles. Or, you can use two circular needles of any length (I think 16" would still be the most manageable), and put half the stitches on each needle.

Bookmark   December 5, 2007 at 4:05AM
More Discussions
Looking For Annie's bed doll crochet Collections
Hi I am interested in collecting Annie's bed doll crochet...
rj2ajs6
How about this?
Want to make a simple little scarf to wear with a coat--not...
barb_roselover_in
Teddy Bear Afghan
The picture of this isstill in the gallery. It is just...
minnie_tx
crochet hook size
If you use a bigger hook will the product be bigger?...
casi
Looking for Annie's Attic pattern club newsletter binders
I am looking for the small binders for the pattern...
Liz Wright Eads Fitch
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™