teaching a leftie to knit

tommysmommyNovember 6, 2006

Hi all, am acting as teacher for the first time since I learned to knit two years ago and have run into an issue I don't know how to address. As I understand it, you can only knit in one direction - so how to address the complaints of a left-handed person that this is so unnatural to be moving to the right? I learned the English way and so am teaching this way, considered the Continental method, but you still have to go left to right.

I'd love to hear from left handed knitters but anyone who's run into this problem, too!

Diane

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tipper_2006

Diane, it sounds like you are trying to teach her how to knit as a right hander would. I was taught by a right hander by sitting in front of her as she knitted. A mirror image so to speak. For a left hander, stitches would be on the right side, worked to the left. I'm teaching my right handed grand daughter to knit and it's hard for a leftie to revert to knitting as a rightie:-) How nice that you are teaching her. It took lots of patients for my rightie to teach this leftie many years ago.

Bookmark   November 7, 2006 at 8:41AM
tami_ohio

All the lefties I know, knit just like I do! Ialso learned English, but can knit continental. I also just learned to knit the Wong way, using just the left thumb to "throw" the yarn. Google Andrea Wong for info. It is very easy on my arthritis.

Tami

Bookmark   November 7, 2006 at 11:34AM
msmeow

I'm left handed and when I start a row I have the stitches on the left needle and the right needle empty. Is that backwards? I learned to knit from reading instructions, and I work patterns exactly as they are written. I've never thought of it being left- or right-handed; it's 2-handed!

Now crocheting is a different story...I have to reverse pattern shaping.

Donna

PS - I'm REALLY left handed - I can't even figure out how to begin to do something right handed, like using a right handed golf club.

Bookmark   November 9, 2006 at 12:43PM
msmeow

Oh, I just remembered something else...my mom & my grandmother taught me embroidery & tatting by sitting facing me. That way what they were doing with their right hand was what I needed to do with my left.

Donna

Bookmark   November 9, 2006 at 12:44PM
tommysmommy

Having the stitches on the left needles and working to the right is the standard way of knitting. I called my local yarn shop and they agreed that they view knitting as an ambidextrous activity and don't teach any different, rightie or leftie. I did just show my protege how to cast on with the long-tail method backward though, as she has more dexterity with the left hand. She's coming along!

Bookmark   November 9, 2006 at 3:04PM
More Discussions
Crochet Owl Fingerless Gloves
If you have some left over yarn you can easily to make...
jane_green
craft fairs
What have you found that is selling good this yr? Thanks. Hope...
sorie6
Looking For Annie's bed doll crochet Collections
Hi I am interested in collecting Annie's bed doll crochet...
rj2ajs6
Knitting or crocheting? Which one first?
I would like to learn to knit and crochet. I've tried...
newgardenelf
Looking for Annie's Attic pattern club newsletter binders
I am looking for the small binders for the pattern...
Liz Wright Eads Fitch
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™