What all Techs & Home Owners should know concerning Cold North...

udarrell_2007May 4, 2011

Any good Tech should already know what I am going to illustrate here; this is for Homeowners & any who can use the least costly way to deal with this too common a problem in the cold North Country.

We are moving into the cooling season; however, any changes in equipment should consider how every component matches with optimal airflow efficiencies.

My lowest cost solution to the cold climate oversized Oil furnace with a small tonnage A/C evaporator coil which requires nearly half the airflow as heating:

I ran a check on my late brother�s home & the summer cooling heatload is about 14,000-BTUH.

The original scenario, had much less airflow than required for 1.5T cooling; its 2-T A-Coil wouldn�t flow 1150-cfm for heating

I did a lot of other figuring; 45,000-BTUH output should heat that small single story home.

However, with the 140,000-BTUH input, 112,000 output Oil furnace installed; the nozzle size can be dropped from one gal an hour (we�ll use 139,000-BTUH input) to .75 @100-psi, the BTUH drops to 103,500 input, this furnace tested at .74% efficiency; *103,000 = 76,590-BTUH.

Using a 90F heating temperature rise, which Thermo Pride can stand; (90*1.06 here) 76,590 / 95.4F is 803-cfm.

Therefore, the 2-Ton A-Coil will handle the CFM; mounted +6 inches above the furnace, it has the flow capacity to work okay in both heating & cooling modes.

With a third HP belt-drive motor, you could simply adjust the RPM down by turning the adjustable motor pulley out enough to get to 700 or 600-CFM for the 1.5-Ton A/C.

The other solution is to install a multiple speed direct drive motor with the fan relay energizing the cooling speed tap.

This rather common situation in cold climates seems not to be properly addressed my Techs, & the HO does not know why things don't work well.

We should all work to improve efficient use of high cost energy ... so America & everyone wins.

More Discussions
Moving floor vent to toekick area
Hello. We are renovating our kitchen as well as baths...
cathy725
Honeywell th6320R Thermostat
My Honeywell TH6320R thermostat (communicating with...
zver11
HVAC design
In determining the HVAC system to use in our new construction,...
bethmcg
Who do I call about a whole-house fan?
I'd like a whole house fan. This might be a DIY project,...
elofgren
Need help with selecting Eff Heat Pump replacement.
20 yr old American Std Heat Pump stopped working. ...
2015hvac
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™