Breaking in New Circular Needles

pacnwgrdngirlNovember 10, 2007

Hi! I just got myself some new bamboo circular needles. I am going to try and make an easy knit baby afghan. I always make everyone crochet baby shower gifts. I would like to try knitting this time. I have a baby girl cousin coming next May. I am a semi-beginner knitter. I've made all the easy stuff. Now I am ready to branch out and knit something a little more extensive. I remember reading somewhere how to break in your new circulars. Couldn't find it anywhere. I think it involved submerging in hot water or something. Do any of you guys do that with your stiff, new circulars? Also any easy, easy knit baby afghans anyone can share? I have an old Leisure Arts leaflet with a couple of good ones. Always fun to look at more though!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tami_ohio

Just warm the cable. I sometimes sit on mine, but you can run the cable thru steam if you like.

As for easy knit baby afghans, try the grandmother's favorite dishcloth pattern, holding two strands of worsted weight yarn together as one, and make it as big as you want. If you want it 36" sq., knit until it measures 36" from the beginning to the point where your needle is waiting, not across the row you are knitting, then start decreasing. Simple and cozy warm!

Tami

Bookmark   November 10, 2007 at 11:17PM
sheilajoyce_gw

I would not put wood or bamboo in water.

Bookmark   November 11, 2007 at 6:39PM
donna_loomis

I agree with Shielajoyce about putting wood or bamboo in water. And I think using steam or sitting on them only works for a little while and they go back to their original shape. I have only found it annoying when using shorter circulars. When making an afghan or other piece that uses the longer needles, it hasn't really bothered me.

Some brands of needles are more stubborn than others.

Bookmark   November 11, 2007 at 7:44PM
threejsmom

Try blowing the cable with a hairdryer. Some of the bamboo needles have really stubborn cords. If you like wood needles with a very flexible cord, check out Knitpicks's Harmony line. Below is a link to free baby afghan patterns.

Here is a link that might be useful: Baby afghans

Bookmark   November 12, 2007 at 4:39PM
More Discussions
Need vintage pattern please
I am hoping someone can help me. I lost the pattern...
francy13
ISO a pattern to knit a Bat Wing sweater.
Hi Everyone, I'm looking for a pattern to knit a Bat...
AussieWa
What have you made lately?
Made this scarf for my niece for Christmas. The photo...
Lindsey_CA
Looking for Knitted Slipper Pattern with Ribbed Sole
I bought these slippers at a craft sale, they are knitted...
enjoyingspring
1970's crochet skunk air freshener can cover
Does anybody happen to have the crochet pattern for...
catsoup
Sponsored Products
Calhoun Loveseat - Key Largo Pumice Beige
Joybird Furniture
New York Yankees Stepping Stone
$21.99 | zulily
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Artistic Weavers Rugs John Plum 10 ft. x 14 ft.
Home Depot
MLB 12 x 15 in. Mickey Mantle-Roger Maris New York Yankees Player Plaque Multico
$32.99 | Hayneedle
Giselle Pendant by WAC Lighting
$187.50 | Lumens
Stone Mill Oil-rubbed Bronze Florence Cabinet Knobs (Pack of 5)
Overstock.com
Townsend 31 1/2" High Outdoor Post Mount Light
Lamps Plus
New Unique Red-Blue Floral Mix Heriz 9' X 12' Serapi Hand Knotted Wool Rug H5920
BH Sun Inc
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™