radiant heat question?

daviddjMay 20, 2013

We are considering whole house radiant heat in our a new custom home we are building in the Washington DC suburbs.

Is there a disadvantage to underfloor heating?
Since it will be placed underneath ceramic tiles or hardwood which is permanent, will future repair be a problem?
What is the brands / manufactures are recommended?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike_home

The main disadvantage of radiant heat is that it is expensive. I don't know if it has disadvantage in efficiency if it has to radiate through hardwood flooring.

If you have a leak you will have to tear through the flooring. If it is installed correctly you should not have this problem. But I would be worried. I recently had to tear into a new shower tile to repair a leaking PVC pipe. It was not a fun experience.

Why do you want to do radiant heating for the whole house? Is assume you will have a central AC system.

Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 9:57AM
ottlane

Radiant heat is a very efficient type of heating..I have it in two bathrooms, my kitchen, laundry and great room, under ceramic tile. It should not need any repair in your lifetime! It is used extensively all over Europe...you will love it, as long as it is installed properly!

Bookmark   May 24, 2013 at 9:04PM
davidpj

We have radiant heat in our basement concrete floor. We love it! It does take time to bring the slab up to temperature, and I'm sure it consumes lot of electricity running the boiler for 1-2 days. But after that the slab holds the heat so well that it runs infrequently to maintain the basement temperature.

You can't really use a setback thermostat efficiently on the type of system so it's set it and forget it. Very comfortable heat and no noise.

Bookmark   May 27, 2013 at 3:19PM
jackfre

I would suggest that you look at Warmboard. With proper plans they will do the entire lay-out. This is a project that you do not want to play with the low bidder. Do your research and hire the best guy in your area to do this work. Properly done, you will love the system.

Bookmark   May 28, 2013 at 10:54AM
jackfre

I would suggest that you look at Warmboard. With proper plans they will do the entire lay-out. This is a project that you do not want to play with the low bidder. Do your research and hire the best guy in your area to do this work. Properly done, you will love the system.

Bookmark   May 28, 2013 at 10:55AM
More Discussions
Problems with HVAC in 1958 Cape Cod
I've been reading the blogs here and hope that the...
ginaff58
New Mini Split Designs for 2015
I, and I am sure others, would love to hear what is...
josey11
New Bryant legacy vs 5 year old carrier infinity
My parents need a new a.c., There's is broken and probably...
David
Pls tell me the best uses for Carrier Air Handler Model # FV4CNF003
Hi GW, I am stuck with a new 2012 air handler/heat...
ontariomom
Are mini-splits a bad idea.
I have lived in both Europe and the Middle East and...
bry911
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™