What can I crochet or knit with Light & Lofty?

TerrapotsNovember 8, 2009

Well I suppose there are a lot of things I could do with this yarn but I need to find a pattern I can use the two skeins I have. I wanted to make a cozy hat, chemo type, but the patterns I've found I keep getting lost in the stitches or counts. Is there a trick to keeping track of your landmarks? I've been trying to keep my finger on the stitch I am working in but it's even hard to find when I have finished the row. I've started a hat over twice but it was just a waste of time. I was so bad I couldn't even unravel it to reuse the yarn to start over. Any one have any ideas? Would a scarf be easier?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oilpainter

You didn't say whether you are knitting or crocheting. However the trick to keeping landmarks is to take a small piece of yarn and knit or crochet it with the stitch, leaving the tail in front. Because it is only secured by one stitch it will pull out easily when you are done. You can even use a small safety pin. Trying to mark with your finger doesn't work.

If you are new to knitting or crocheting yes a scarf would be easier

Bookmark   November 8, 2009 at 5:18AM
gardenway

I've found this yarn easy to knit with versus crochet. I've used it to made knitted slippers and a scarf. Also have crocheted using with N hook for a purse - wasn't a problem with a large hook.

Bookmark   November 8, 2009 at 10:31AM
sheilajoyce_gw

I only knit with this yarn. Just a simple pattern will do because any fancy stitches don't show up because of the fuzziness of the yarn. Look at the manufacturer's web site for free patterns for their yarns.

Bookmark   November 8, 2009 at 5:25PM
Terrapots

I can knit or crochet. I tried crocheting with an N hook but didn't get too far, couldn't keep track of where to put stitches and kept tangling. I thought of using it with a thin worsted contrasting color to keep track. I recall I had the same problem with a fun fur type and I ended up knitting a scarf but I really wanted to make a crocheted hat for a chemo patient. Just wondered if anyone had any tricks up their sleeves for this problem. I'm not new at knit-crochet, just rusty.

Bookmark   November 9, 2009 at 12:29AM
gardenway

Correction - when I crocheted with it (purse) I used a P hook not N and it was single crochet.
Using a strand of plain yarn with it could help you, whether knitting or crocheting. I always did that when I knitted with fun fur.
I agree, keep to a simple stitch like garter stitch or sc.

Bookmark   November 9, 2009 at 10:43AM
Terrapots

Thanks, gardenway. DD suggested the P hook, plastic one, and I purchased one. Will try it together with a plain yarn to see if I can find the stitches. I already noted that it seems easier to crochet with this yarn with the plastic hook rather than the aluminum N that I was using. Not sure yet whether it's the size or the plastic as I have no P aluminum to compare with. Most all my hooks are aluminum, darn!

Bookmark   November 9, 2009 at 8:22PM
More Discussions
What have you made lately?
Made this scarf for my niece for Christmas. The photo...
Lindsey_CA
Looking for pattern
Hi everyone..... Hope you had a great Christmas. I...
francy13
How about this?
Want to make a simple little scarf to wear with a coat--not...
barb_roselover_in
Searching for Columbia Minerva Christmas Stocking pattern
I am looking for a Columbia Minerva Santa Claus Christmas...
lmush
looking for Annies Attic Dainty Dress Up Pattern
Does anyone out there have or know where I can get...
nursemom
Sponsored Products
InnerSpace 4.5 in. Replacement Memory Foam Sofa Mattress with Zipper Cover Multi
$279.99 | Hayneedle
Mod Block Throw
| Dot & Bo
Pink Starry Night Jersey Crib Sheet
$16.99 | zulily
GAN | Mangas Collection Campana MP3 Pouf
YLiving.com
Coolaroo Exterior Sun Shade. Free Samples and Shipping!
Blinds.com
Beautyrest Ribbed Microfleece Queen-size Heated Blanket
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™