What to do with fresh eggs?

CathyChexApril 21, 2014

My aunt raises chickens and gave me a dozen fresh eggs yesterday. I hate the taste of cooked eggs (I know, I know!), and it seems like such a waste to just use them in some generic baked product. I was thinking about fresh pasta, but would love some other ideas/recipes.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
trailrunnerbiker

ice cream!!! I was just given 4 dozen from a friend's chickens ! We have pasta and ice cream and a pound cake planned...c

Bookmark   April 21, 2014 at 6:47PM
lazy_gardens

Cream puffs?

Bookmark   April 21, 2014 at 6:56PM
eibren

Mayonnaise, or deviled eggs, if the seasoning would mask the taste enough for you.

Bookmark   April 21, 2014 at 6:57PM
ruthanna_gw

A from-scratch lemon meringue pie

Bookmark   April 21, 2014 at 8:38PM
dcarch7

Carbonara!!!

dcarch

Bookmark   April 21, 2014 at 8:40PM
KatieC

Flan. Or maybe a frittata with lots of vegies/tomatoes/herbs/cheese?

Bookmark   April 21, 2014 at 10:28PM
Islay_Corbel

Meringues.

Bookmark   April 22, 2014 at 2:38AM
Annie Deighnaugh

Make kruschiki...it takes 9 egg yolks and the are the best lightest cookies ever. This is the Polish version, but my Hungarian grandmother used to make them....haven't had them in decades.

Save the whites to make meringues.

Here is a link that might be useful: kruschiki

Bookmark   April 22, 2014 at 8:58AM
CathyChex

Ice cream! Duh! How did I not think of that. LOL That's going to the top of the list.

All of these are great ideas. We don't eat a lot of mayonnaise, but I'll bet it would be fabulous.

When using raw eggs, what about the salmonella concerns? I know my aunt refrigerates the eggs right away -- but, I think I've read that it's about the shell, no?

Bookmark   April 22, 2014 at 9:34AM
dcarch7

"---When using raw eggs, what about the salmonella concerns? ----"

Don't take a chance!

Google how to pasteurize the eggs yourself. Not a lot of trouble.

dcarch

Bookmark   April 22, 2014 at 9:55AM
sleevendog

If you don't like the taste of eggs, definitely separate them. Egg white recipes and yolk recipes no longer have the eggy taste. Egg whites freeze well. Yolks do also but best for cooking.
I avoid raw egg so don't know much about the dangers. The rare occasion i want a thicker dressing or mayo i use a med boiled egg in the blender.

So many choices for yolks and whites!
I like the sound of the 'Meyer lemon Chicken Soup' in this collection...
It uses yolks.

Here is a link that might be useful: leftover whites and yolks

Bookmark   April 22, 2014 at 10:11AM
lkzz

Angel food cake with the whites.

Crème Brule with the yolks.

Left Over Egg Yolks:
http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/Articles/Cooking-Tips--Techniques-642/left-over-egg-yolks.aspx

Leftover Egg Whites:
http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2007/09/recipes-to-use/

Bookmark   April 22, 2014 at 10:34AM
annie1992

If you eat your eggs over easy, there's still the "salmonella risk". The government agencies used to say that there was salmonella in one out of every 20,000 eggs, now they say maybe it's more like 10,000, but they don't really know.

Salmonella will grow more quickly in unrefrigerated eggs, but the problem isn't the shell. Eggs have a natural coating or bloom which seals the pores of the shell and prevents contaminants from entering. However, a salmonella infected egg is infected while still in the chicken, and it doesn't usually migrate through the shell.

Salmonella is from keeping birds in dirty and crowded conditions, from contaminated feed, sometimes contamination from wild animals. It cannot be tasted or detected.

However, if you are confident with your egg source and are a healthy adult, it's not as much an issue. I eat eggs from my own hens raw or runny regularly and don't worry. I wouldn't feed the ice cream to my infant granddaughter or to my elderly and ill neighbor, but don't hesitate to eat it myself. Salmonella can be much more harmful for the very young, very old and immunocompromised.

Would I eat a commercially produced egg runny? Yes, of course I would, and have many times in the past, as I think that one in 10,000 chance is pretty miniscule.

So, is there a risk? Yes. Is it small/minute? Yes. Is it more likely to get salmonella poisoning from handling raw chicken, or from washing your salad greens in the sink after handling raw chicken? Yes. Your risk to take, you decide. I do it regularly, but don't expect others to without warning.

Now, that ice cream. My favorite recipe calls for cooking a custard first, and it takes 5 or 6 minutes. Since I like that custard based ice cream, that's what I do and it has nothing to do with raw eggs, only what I like enters into it.

Annie

Bookmark   April 22, 2014 at 4:30PM
More Discussions
I scrub my potatoes clean. Do you?
My SIL was her visiting over the holidays, sharing...
momto4kids
Hosting Easter a week later...need new menu ideas
We are invited to DD's house for Easter; her MIL is...
patty2430
How to fix rock hard espresso powder? :p
I am VERY careful about trying to keep powders dry...
party_music50
Another OT Seattle
I'm watching a series on Netflix called the killing...
Islay Corbel
white dishes that do not scratch or chip
Looking for durable white dishes
pianopiano
Sponsored Products
Pediment Blue Chevron Shade Anya Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Bejeweled Rug
Dot & Bo
Wine Rack by Radius
$119.00 | Lumens
Blue Flame Canvas Log Carrier - CLC