Portable Air Conditioners

saltidawgMay 2, 2011

I was an active poster here last year and got lots of help in replacing my A/C and oil furnace.

My son lives in CT. He has the need to cool a room or two that do not have windows that can accept an window air conditioner. Also, he does not own the house so thru the wall options are non-existent.

He's considering two portable air conditioners - running air ducts to the windows to exhaust the heat.

Any advice on brands, models, things to consider? (I would think condensate disposal and electric demand would be an issue.) He does not pay for utilities so efficiency is a consideration for green reasons... but not for his expenses.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
saltidawg

I see a similar thread half way down the page.

I apologize, but maybe some additional info might come available for both of us.

Bookmark   May 2, 2011 at 1:21PM
ionized_gw

One-hose models exhaust air from the room to cool the condenser. That means you are continuously sucking in outside air to make that up. That can make for a damp, clammy-feeling room. The efficiency loss is obvious It is kind of like heating a house with a open fireplace or stove. Two-hose models draw outside air through the condenser more analogous to a sealed combustion device.

IIRC, most of these units evaporate the condensate to aid in cooling. In addition, they have a tank with a float switch safety in case of very humid weather.

Bookmark   May 2, 2011 at 2:27PM
starhikers

I'm a homeowner,not a HVAC tech, but I have found mine very acceptable for cooling. You have to drain the water into a bucket or drain but it works when you have no other options. I bought mine at Home Depot. If I remember to look up the brand, I'll re-post but it has been good for the last few years.

Bookmark   May 2, 2011 at 8:15PM
More Discussions
Does anyone have experience with an R6GI?
I'm looking at some options to replace one of my HVAC...
aggieben
Floor Air Register and ductwork
In recently doing light cleaning on air registers in...
Char Holdenried
wood stove insert causing boiler to cycle?
We have an oil-fired boiler, an indirect water heater,...
kitasei
Frozen radiators!
My boiler failed, and all the radiators froze and split....
mtvhike
New Mini Split Designs for 2015
I, and I am sure others, would love to hear what is...
josey11
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™