Recipe Question

moonwolf_gwApril 21, 2012

Hi everyone,

Just found this recipe online for Oven Baked Pork Chops And Hash Browns. I have one question about it. It calls for 1/2 cup sour cream and 1 can French fried onions. Mom doesn't care for either of those. Can we substitue mayonnaise for the sour cream and chopped onion for the fried onions?

Here's the recipe (I know the protocol LOL)

Oven Baked Pork Chops And Hashbrowns

6 pork chops

1 can cream of mushroom soup

1/2 cup milk

1/2 cup sour cream

1 cup grated Cheddar cheese

1 can (Durkee) fried onions

24 oz. package hashbrowns, thawed

Season salt

Pepper

Brown chops; season to taste. Combine soup, milk, and sour cream with 1/2 teaspoon season salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Add hashbrowns. Spoon into 9 x 13 inch pan. Sprinkle on half the cheese and onions. Top with pork chops. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. Top with remaining cheese and onions. Bake, uncovered, for 5 minutes.

Enjoy!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
agmss15

I would probably just use the sour cream. There isn't much in the recipe. The sour cream will be incorporated into the sauce mixed w/other flavors and not a separate finishing garnish. Of course that would be my solution because I don't like mayonnaise. The fried onions would be dry and the chopped ones wet. Maybe if you sauteed them to remove some of the water. You might want to mix some breadcrumbs into the top layer for crispness.

Bookmark   April 21, 2012 at 1:42PM
lindac

Just use regular cream instead of the sour cream.....mayonnaise would make it too oily.
The fried onions are only there for a crunchy topping. You could substitute chow mein fried noodles, or croutons or even cornflakes.
Linda C

Bookmark   April 21, 2012 at 2:34PM
arkansas_girl

Does she like the unflavored yogurt? I don't see why you couldn't sub that or I think I'd just leave it out, I really wouldn't think you could taste the sour cream though. As far as a topping, how about some crushed up potato chips? Dried bread crumbs maybe?

Bookmark   April 21, 2012 at 4:15PM
moonwolf_gw

Thank you, everyone for your input!

Mom does not like sour cream, yogurt, or cream cheese one bit. She was just thinking of leaving it out. She loves the idea of subbing the croutons for the fried onions!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Bookmark   April 21, 2012 at 4:44PM
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7

I don't think she will taste the sour cream in the casserole. My Dad doesn't like sour cream but I use it all the time mixed into things and he doesn't know it's there.
As far as topping, I would use some kind of crushed chip: potato chip, frito, etc. Something crunchy.
That recipe gets goods reviews, I hope you enjoy it!

Bookmark   April 21, 2012 at 4:45PM
lindac

The sauce will be a bit thick without something for the sour cream....plain cream will be fine.

Bookmark   April 21, 2012 at 5:23PM
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7

But plain cream is expensive compared to sour cream which is why I still say use the sour cream. It will be undetectable.

Bookmark   April 21, 2012 at 6:09PM
annie1992

Or use buttermilk, if you have some on hand, or just enough milk to make it a bit more moist.

Cream is lovely, but I never had any on hand and it IS expensive. I'd just use a bit of milk, and I also like the idea of croutons on top instead of those fried onions, which I don't care for either. Croutons or toasted bread crumbs for crunch.

Annie

Bookmark   April 21, 2012 at 7:55PM
More Discussions
As Seen on Food Fortunes -- Can you measure flour?
Have you seen this show? Shark Tank for the comestibles...
plllog
Tried And True "Edible" Brownie Recipe? (Where Legal)
Here is a cooking question, more specifically a baking...
johnliu_gw
Food for sore mouths..
I just had a tooth extracted - and I have a very sore...
agmss15
Biscuit Experts
Can I substitute greek yogurt for buttermilk in a biscuit...
cactuscatie1
Help with baked eggs and a new oven
Hi - we recently got a new oven (Thermador) and my...
peggysugar
Sponsored Products
Abetta Gaited Comfort Trail Saddle - 205376BK
$457.98 | Hayneedle
48" Cambria Cast Iron Roll-Top Clawfoot Tub
Signature Hardware
Mirro 9210A 4 Quart Aluminum Pressure Cooker - 92140A
$39.99 | Hayneedle
Aqua Green Affinity Cable-Knit Throw
$39.99 | zulily
AICO Furniture - Chateau Beauvais Rectangular Dining Table in...
Great Furniture Deal
Die-Cast Elite Collection 14-Cup Food Processor
$249.99 | zulily
Anolon Bronze Nonstick 3.5 qt. Covered Straining Saucepan - 82242
$49.95 | Hayneedle
AICO Furniture - Palais Royale Rectangular Dining Table in Rococo...
Great Furniture Deal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™