Need easy crochet stitch for challenged beginner

marys1000October 4, 2010

I'm not a crochet'er or knitter. But I want to make simple rectangle cat pads/mats for the feral cat that lives in a box on my patio. I bought some all wool #4 yarn and a K crochet hook.

Since I couldn't find a thick all wool I thought I'd double the strands.

Any help with

1) instructional video - a woman at the store mentioned a yarn...B something whose website she thought had good ones but I can't remember the name.

2) recommendations of a good for this purpose stitch that is really truly easy to figure out and do (I am really bad at figuring out spatial things and directions).

I thought, and still may, do a.....regular? straight? plain? stitch but thought I'd ask if there was something else that

(a) would be warmer and (b) may be less likely to snag.

Last, the yarn available, Lion Fishermen's wool, says perfect for felting. Does this mean I should make my rectangle bigger and wash it so it tightens to a tighter mat? Some air pockets sometimes mean warmer, not sure which way to go here.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oilpainter

Wool or any yarn is not too good for a cat. You would be better off with a piece of carpeting. Cats tend to dig their claws into things and scratch. The yarn would get caught in their claws.

I'd save the yarn for a pair of felted slippers, but if you did use it I'd suggest you go with single or double crochet and felt it. Yes it would have to be bigger if you felted it.

Bookmark   October 4, 2010 at 8:02PM
marys1000

I thought about the claw catching thing, just hoping for the best. I want wool because it provides warmth even when wet, just in case it gets damp, it really reflects warmth and even though there's no warming/electrical thing in the box if I can figure out a way to rig something (no ideas have worked so far) I want it to be fire resistant. Personallly I think wool is a wonderful material.
Carpet, yes, don't know where I'd get wool carpet cheap.

So, single, double crochet means nothing to me. How much bigger to felt? And do I just throw it in the wash? dry?

Bookmark   October 4, 2010 at 8:14PM
marys1000

I thought about the claw catching thing, just hoping for the best. I want wool because it provides warmth even when wet, just in case it gets damp, it really reflects warmth and even though there's no warming/electrical thing in the box if I can figure out a way to rig something (no ideas have worked so far) I want it to be fire resistant. Personallly I think wool is a wonderful material.
Carpet, yes, don't know where I'd get wool carpet cheap.

So, single, double crochet means nothing to me. How much bigger to felt? And do I just throw it in the wash? dry?

Bookmark   October 4, 2010 at 9:09PM
jjknitter

What about buying a woolen blanket for the cat?

Bookmark   October 5, 2010 at 12:05AM
Babka NorCal 9b

Get something easily washable for a liner. You will want to use hot water to get rid of fleas! You can make a covered box lined with sheet foam insulation. We did that for our house (?) cat and he did fine even when the outside temps were below zero. The inside of the box wasn't a whole lot bigger than he was with a front entry hole of about 6 or 8" square. I like wool too, but not for a cat, and anything you knit or crochet will get shreaded for sure.

-Babka

Bookmark   October 6, 2010 at 1:49PM
acraftylady

Here is a nice site with the basics for left and right handed. Mary

Here is a link that might be useful: crochet videos

Bookmark   October 6, 2010 at 4:04PM
msmeow

Oooh, cats just LOVE crocheted and knitted things! They love doing that "fluffing" thing. The cat would sort of naturally "felt" the crochet. My two are always fluffing up whatever I'm working on.

My concern would be with the cat chewing it up and swallowing the yarn. As long as it's a natural fiber like wool that probably wouldn't be a problem. Man-made fibers like acrylic or nylon could cause serious problems for the cat.

Donna

Bookmark   October 6, 2010 at 5:36PM
barb_roselover_in

Seems like we have some cat lovers here. Speaking of feral cats, where do you go to get some material on them? I am taking care of my husband's cat (he passed away a year ago and she is about seventeen years old. The neighbor's mama cat had kittens in my barn and one is very easy to take care of but the other is a spitfire. I am getting her used to being fed by me but worry about them this winter. I have a heated garage, but don't know whether I can get them in. Paid to get both of them taken care of. Didn't mean to highjack your thread----but interested. - Barb

Bookmark   October 10, 2010 at 5:52PM
gardenway

barb_roselover, if you put "feral cats" in search, lots of info comes up.

Bookmark   November 7, 2010 at 5:58PM
gardenway

marys1000 - if you still need info on sizing before and after felting, this might help

http://www.allfreecrafts.com/knitting/cat-bed.shtml

Bookmark   November 7, 2010 at 6:23PM
More Discussions
knitted rippled afghan
I would like to use up some scrapes of yarn and make...
mystic_2008
Looking for pattern
Hi everyone..... Hope you had a great Christmas. I...
francy13
craft fairs
What have you found that is selling good this yr? Thanks. Hope...
sorie6
What have you made lately?
Made this scarf for my niece for Christmas. The photo...
Lindsey_CA
crochet hook size
If you use a bigger hook will the product be bigger?...
casi
Sponsored Products
Adesso Lamps Rodeo 61 in. H Antique Bronze Floor Lamp 3349-26
Home Depot
Artisan Circles Area Rug (5'5 x 7'7)
Overstock.com
Wynwood 14" Wide Swag Chandelier with White Drum Shade
Lamps Plus
Assorted Fudge Bites
$30.00 | Horchow
Kite Chair in Black
$144.99 | Dot & Bo