Need a yarn suggestion

acraftyladyOctober 18, 2012

A friend is knitting a pattern that is a dress with a shrug over it. Here is what the shurg looks likes. It's done in Joanne's sensations self striping breeze yarn. We are trying to find a solid like in coral or maybe yellow for the dress that would match as the breeze does not have anything in solid to match. It's a 3 light yarn. The second photo is not the exact color she is using but wanted to show what this type of yarn looks like, kind of twisty. Would appreciate any suggestions I can pass along. Mary

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Annie Deighnaugh

I don't think I'd want to try to match any of those colors as it will look too much like a lollipop....I'd rather see a white dress against which the colors in the shrug will really stand out....

Bookmark   October 18, 2012 at 4:58PM
tami_ohio

I agree!

Bookmark   October 18, 2012 at 5:03PM
acraftylady

We put it up against a white knitted swatch and we didn't care for it but I will suggest that again. It really does look nice next to the right shade coral. This yarn does not come in white only self stripping so either way we need to find something in a 3 light for the dress if she does go with white. I only work with worsted weight for prayer shawls so I am cluelss as to what's out there online she can order. Mary

Bookmark   October 18, 2012 at 5:09PM
tami_ohio

Ok, I didn't realize the dress was going to be knitted also. Without doing a search, if I remember right, JoAnn's Sensations is 100% acrylic. Hershnerrs and Mary Maxim should both have something in acrylic, and will have the weight designations you need to compare. 3 Light is just below a regular 4 medium worsted like you use for the prayer shawls. In fact, any of the online yarn suppliers should be able to help with the weight designation. You may even find the coral you are looking for . I hope this helps and you can find what you are looking for.

Tami

Bookmark   October 19, 2012 at 8:51AM
tami_ohio

I forgot to mention, tho you probably already know. As long as you use acrylic yarn, you don't need to use the same brand yarn for the other garment. I think Bernat also makes a crinkly yarn similar to what you have posted. They may even have a coral that would work, now that I think about it. Check their web site. You may be able to order directly from them, but I'm not sure.

Tami

Bookmark   October 19, 2012 at 8:58AM
acraftylady

Ok will check and see if they have a 3 light that is similar, thanks. Mary

Bookmark   October 19, 2012 at 10:18AM
acraftylady

The breeze yarn is 72% acrylic, 20% Cotton, 8% Nylon so not all acrylic. We will have to try and hit some yarn stores in the area. I checked all the craft stores yesterday and nothing comparible in that color. Haven't looked to see what knit picks has yet. Mary

Bookmark   October 19, 2012 at 10:25AM
elisamcs

Take a look at the KnitPicks site. They sell all kinds of yarns and the pictures are very good.

Bookmark   October 20, 2012 at 2:22PM
More Discussions
Granny Square vest
I knit a lot while riding my exercise bike. I want...
barb_roselover_in
ISO a pattern to knit a Bat Wing sweater.
Hi Everyone, I'm looking for a pattern to knit a Bat...
AussieWa
craft fairs
What have you found that is selling good this yr? Thanks. Hope...
sorie6
Searching for Columbia Minerva Christmas Stocking pattern
I am looking for a Columbia Minerva Santa Claus Christmas...
lmush
Looking for Annie's Attic pattern club newsletter binders
I am looking for the small binders for the pattern...
Liz Wright Eads Fitch
Sponsored Products
International Caravan Half Glass-Top Desk with 4 Levels and CD Holders
Overstock.com
Here and There Kids Chair - SeeSaw Chevron - 61268
$99.99 | Hayneedle
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Loloi Rugs Rugs Weston Lifestyle
Home Depot
Devon Accent Lamp by Robert Abbey
$203.50 | Lumens
iRobot Roomba 880 Vacuum Cleaning Robot
$700.00 | FRONTGATE