Crocheting Row 1

soyamisoOctober 26, 2007

Any tips on making Row 1 easier to see when using textured yarns aside from making huge chains?

Once I finish Row 1, I'm fine, but it usually takes me multiple tries to get that first row correct. I just don't "see" the individual chains with the textured yarns. Sometimes I'm tempted to cheat and only crochet in the front or back loops.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donna_loomis

I feel your pain. For this reason, I rarely crochet with Fun Fur, boucle and the like. But you might try this: carry along another "regular" yarn with the textured yarn, but don't include it in the slip stitch you make to begin. Just carry it along and make the chain. Then just use your textured yarn for the first row, pulling out the regular yarn as you make each stitch. I know this sounds labor intensive, but if you are set on using those types of yarns, what's a little more work, LOL?

Bookmark   October 26, 2007 at 5:18PM
Zipper_TX

Try holding your chain over something white, a tablecloth, or a pair of white pants, something like that and try to chain loosely.

Bookmark   October 26, 2007 at 8:27PM
soyamiso

Thank you for the tips. I tried them and will now put down my crochet hook and pick up knitting needles. I feel better knowing that others have experienced the same difficulties that I have had with crocheting textured yarns.

Bookmark   October 30, 2007 at 10:52PM
Dash2

Do your beginning chain with a hook 1 to 2 sizes larger than the hook you will use for the rest of the project. It won't look sloppy and the hook you will use after the beginning chain will slip right into place.

Bookmark   October 30, 2007 at 11:17PM
More Discussions
I want to learn to knit or crochet.
I have no one to teach me. Which is easier to learn...
eclair
Searching for Columbia Minerva Christmas Stocking pattern
I am looking for a Columbia Minerva Santa Claus Christmas...
lmush
plain knit scarf
I am knitting a scarf--just plain knit stitch, no purl....
barb_roselover_in
What have you made lately?
Made this scarf for my niece for Christmas. The photo...
Lindsey_CA
Knitting or crocheting? Which one first?
I would like to learn to knit and crochet. I've tried...
newgardenelf
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™