Glazed or Non-Glazed White Cabinets?

southernmumJanuary 4, 2013

Do people still glaze their kitchen cabinets or is that so 2006? I have no idea... I see both in showrooms, but just wonder what most people do. I like the look of some glazed cabinets, as long as the glaze is lightly applied. I just want my kitchen to be timeless, yet some of the stark white cabinets I see look almost sterile without a glaze. Thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
breezygirl

Hi Southernmum. It's been a while since someone has asked this question. It used to come up a few times a year. I'll link one similar from last year. The trend, as referenced by some of the KDs on the forum, is away from glazing to a cleaner, simpler look. Many, including me, feel glazing on white cabs looks dirty and grimy. I want to grab and brush and scrub off the dirt when I see glaze.

The important thing, however, is to do what looks best to you. If you feel that white cabs are too sterile, perhaps look at a creamier white to warm up the color a bit.

I love, love, love, love my white cabs.

Bookmark   January 4, 2013 at 3:32AM
breezygirl

Oops! Forgot the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Recent thread on glazing

Bookmark   January 4, 2013 at 3:34AM
breezygirl

Here's an Internet search I did looking for past discussions on glazing. You'll find another dozen or so threads from this link. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: More threads

Bookmark   January 4, 2013 at 3:37AM
finestra

I think it depends on the style of your kitchen. Is it modern, transitional, traditional? Are you going for an old world look or a clean look? I didn't do a white kitchen, but I did do a "complete" wipe off glaze that really only caught in the decorative moldings. It also gave some depth to the light blue cabinets I put in.

I love white kitchens, but I don't think I would glaze it unless I wanted a very old world look. I would go with a creamier white if I didn't like the stark white look.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   January 4, 2013 at 11:10AM
southernmum

Breezygirl, I LOVE your kitchen! It's just gorgeous! Yes, I felt the same way, for the most part, in the showroom. Some of the glazes were dirty looking. I think I'm going to go with creamy white perimeter cabinets and a gray island! :)

Bookmark   January 4, 2013 at 5:56PM
lolauren

I echo everything breezy said. Also, I worried about the "stark" aspect of my white cabinets, but I love them. They are bright and clean to me.

Bookmark   January 4, 2013 at 7:03PM
Cavimum

@southernmum - have you considered going with a creamy white or ivory, instead of white white?

Bookmark   January 4, 2013 at 8:45PM
2LittleFishies

Some glazes are very well done and not dirty looking.

Bookmark   January 5, 2013 at 12:24AM
kks_mom

@southernmum, I'm thinking of doing the same, white perimeter and grey island. Do you have any pics you could post? I'm not finding much online.

Bookmark   January 12, 2013 at 12:23PM
AboutToGetDusty

Ditto breezygirl too. Brought a sample home and dh said "no way, it looks dirty!" I love my white, although I love creamy white (no glaze) too. Depends on your house style and your colors and paint choices. Good luck!

Bookmark   January 12, 2013 at 1:05PM
laceylynn3

@suthernmum, we must be leading parallel lives. What did you decide with the cabinets? I'm trying to decide the exact same thing.

Bookmark   January 23, 2013 at 6:25PM
quiltgirl

Just saw a kitchen display yesterday that was accented very lightly with a glaze. I really liked it. The salesperson said that it is not heavy like a traditional glaze, but is called a "wash". It just gave the cabinets a warm soft look without being much. I took some pictures, but will have to download them to here later today.

Bookmark   February 17, 2013 at 8:15AM
More Discussions
So confused!!
Okay kind people I need assistance as I am overwhelmed...
Susan McGoldrick-Meerdink
School me on galley kitchen layout!
So I've tried to start learning from the experts here...
red_argyle
Quartz Countertop Color
We are going with quartz countertop for our kitchen...
kathy6421
Dishwasher in white, black or panel??
My 17 year old dishwasher needs to be replaced. It...
shellking
Cabinet coat for office
I am painting over dark stained builtins in our home...
erinnicole
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™