In-line booster fan

shadow700May 29, 2011

Our master bedroom was an addition to the second floor of our house by the prior owner.

When they did this, they cut into a trunk that is probably now undersized due to the heat loss of the new room.

If we force the blower of our Carrier variable speed system to HIGH, the room stays in sync with the rest of the house.

Can I put some sort of in-line blower in the trunk to boost the CFMs so that it gives the airflow a boost, regardless of the main blower speed?

The trunk is an 8"x14" rectangle that feeds a 400 sq ft master bedroom (2nd floor, vaulted ceiling, no attic above) and a 180 sq foot first floor room with two exterior walls.

The location were I have access to the trunk is a vertical section with an 20"x14" cross section. I can expand the trunk if need here location to accept a larger fan if it would help.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike_home

In line booster fans usually don't help. The previous owner of my house had installed one the basement to help push air to an upstairs bedroom. It was noisey and ineffective. I had it removed when I put in my new furnace and AC.

Do you have the Carrier Infinity controller? If you do, you can change the furnace setting from comfort to efficiency. This will boost the air flow for all your fan speeds.

Bookmark   May 29, 2011 at 12:30PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shadow700

The other piece to this puzzle is that the master bedroom is is a dead end ... no return.

While there is no way to add a return, I can probably add a 10-12" round duct that would connect the bedroom to the first floor ceiling. Could a small duct fan, wired in to cycle with the main blower, provide some circulation assistance?

Bookmark   May 30, 2011 at 7:18AM
More Discussions
Any Reviews/Feedback on Daikin HVAC (Dallas)
Anyone install a Daikin HVAC system yet? We are in...
DallasArts
Advice on HVAC & Insulation issues
I have a few questions that I would love to have input...
cinamn808
Frozen radiators!
My boiler failed, and all the radiators froze and split....
mtvhike
Pls tell me the best uses for Carrier Air Handler Model # FV4CNF003
Hi GW, I am stuck with a new 2012 air handler/heat...
ontariomom
Noisy Compressor in Geothermal Heat Pump
I have installed a Cliamtemaster Tranquility 27 3 hp...
macleodaj
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™