What is creamed cottage cheese? Gellchom?

nicoletoukApril 7, 2012

I am making gellchom's recipe for Nana's Kugel, and it calls for creamed cottage cheese. What is this? Cottage cheese put in the food processor?

Also, the recipe calls for "1/2 small creamed cottage cheese". Does any one have a guess as to half a *what*?

Thanks! Nicole

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

Creamed cottage is cottage cheese that has had cream added....like one normally finds. This is different from dry curd cottage cheese which has no cream added and is dry and crumbly.
Linda C

Bookmark   April 7, 2012 at 2:09PM
shambo

Cottage cheese generally comes in two sizes: large is a 32 oz. tub, while the smaller size or regular size is an 16 oz. tub. Smaller sizes are generally considered single servings. My guess is that half of a small container would be 8 oz. or 1 cup.

Bookmark   April 7, 2012 at 5:54PM
nicoletouk

Thank you both!

Nicole

Bookmark   April 7, 2012 at 7:22PM
gellchom

Oh, I'm so sorry, I somehow didn't see this post until now.

LindaC was right about the "creamed" cottage cheese. The regular kind, as opposed to the dry kind (farmer's or pot cheese, I think it's often called).

And Shambo was right about the size of the container. Anyway, that's the size I use (16 oz.). But I was never completely positive, either, so I just gave you the recipe the way Nana wrote it out for me!

How did it come out? I haven't made it in ages. You've inspired me and I might make it this week.

Bookmark   May 29, 2012 at 3:56PM
lindac

Don't know how Nana makes her kugle....but reading this makes me hungry for my kugle...with pineapple, cottage cheese, cream cheese sour cream and pineapple...very yummy!

Bookmark   May 29, 2012 at 6:32PM
nicoletouk

Well, it was a while ago but as I remember it, it wasn't a huge hit. I'm so sorry to say that. I wasn't bad, it was just eh. Except for DD16, I remember she liked it a lot and ate all the leftovers over the next few days.

It just didn't have much flavor. I have only had kugel a few times and many years ago, so maybe my expectations were wrong. Or, maybe I did it wrong...

Nicole

Bookmark   June 2, 2012 at 10:26AM
lindac

Try this kugle recipe
Noodle kugle, serves 20 as a side bake in a 9 by 13 glass dish.
1 pound noodles, cooked (cook lightly so they don't get gluey)
1 20 oz can pineapple, drained (save the juice)
1 carton cottage cheese 16 oz
2 beaten eggs beaten with
8 oz cream cheese
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
If the cheese sour cream mix doesn't seem creamy enough, add a little of the saved pineapple juice.
Mix all and top with cornflake crumbs and sprinkle generously with cinnamon sugar and drizzle with 1/2 stick of melted butter. bake 350 for 45 minutes.

Yeah! I know....I didn't say it was low cal....just good!!

Bookmark   June 2, 2012 at 10:39AM
gellchom

Sorry they didn't like it, nigel-bigel. A lot of people expect noodle kugels to be sweet. Our Litvak family likes salty, not sweet. So I wondered how people would like it when, for the kiddush lunch after our son's bar mitzvah many years ago, we asked the cooks to use our recipe instead of the very sweet recipe our synagogue (originally called the Hungarian Synagogue!) uses. People did seem to like it a lot, though. Although come to think of it, the recipe I got the most requests for (so many we had to publish it in the synagogue newsletter, in fact!) was for a very sweet baked pineapple dish.

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 4:06PM
More Discussions
Beans and Greens Recipes?
I wonder if I haven't been getting out enough, and...
plllog
Monkey Princess makes pretzels
The Monkey Princess decided that we needed to learn...
annie1992
Another Record: $4.235 Per Pound for Ground Beef
I read this headline in a recent cnsnews.com article....
grainlady_ks
My lastest kitchen purchase
Some of you may remember me talking about our local...
annie1992
What to do with fermented green tomaotes?
We have more than a lifetime's worth of fermented green...
matthias_lang
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™