tips for easy ripple afghan?

harleygalOctober 14, 2008

Does anyone have any tips for making an easy ripple afghan? I have been crocheting since I was 8 (I'm a grandma now) and have never been able to make a ripple afghan. It always runs off for some reason.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sheilajoyce_gw

You have to count every stitch. Otherwise, you make mistakes that show up once you are a few rows away.

Bookmark   October 14, 2008 at 1:37PM
wantoretire_did

Here is a good tutorial for a ripple. It does require concentration and lots of counting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Detailed ripple instructions

Bookmark   October 15, 2008 at 7:19PM
tami_ohio

Count! If it helps, put a marker in each valley, and one in each mountain. Count between each marker every single valley, every single mountain. I have done several, and mom has made lots. They are not something you can just crochet away at with out counting. They are very easy to do, you just have to pay attention and count. Try it on a doll size blanket until you get the hang of it. Just take your pattern and only make as many peaks and valleys as you want. If I remember right, the pattern we use is 2 sts for the border, *skp 2 sts, sc in next 11 sts, skp 2 sts, sc in next 11 sts, 3 single crochets in the next chain* repeat until you have 4 sts left. Skp 2 sts, sc in next 2 sts. Does that make sense? I don't have a pattern with me so am going from memory. Maybe Velleen can help.

Tami

Bookmark   October 16, 2008 at 8:40PM
kykace

I am fiishing a ripple, but the edges want to roll. Anyone have ideas for edging that won't roll? Nothing listed on the pattern I have.

Thanks
Judy

Bookmark   October 31, 2008 at 12:37PM
pandora429

Hi Judy,
I use a single reverse crochet on the edges,it really does stop it from rolling, if you have double crocheted the blanket, then use a double reverse crochet. It gives it a nice edge too!!(this can be used all around the blanket too)
Hope this helps.
Marlene

Bookmark   October 31, 2008 at 8:47PM
More Discussions
Looking for free pattern
I am looking for a free knit pattern for a little girls...
krazyknitter
Looking for pattern
Hi everyone..... Hope you had a great Christmas. I...
francy13
Granny Square vest
I knit a lot while riding my exercise bike. I want...
barb_roselover_in
Bargello-like Long Crochet Potholder pattern
When I was a kid (70's?), I made my mom some potholders...
lascatx
craft fairs
What have you found that is selling good this yr? Thanks. Hope...
sorie6
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™