New AC, Room Still Warm

kingfyshMay 4, 2012

My wife and I had our AC re-done about two years ago and have been pretty happy with it overall. However, the master bedroom gets warm at night when we close the door. We have two vents in the bedroom and one in the master bath that blow hard and cold. The room is fairly air tight with only one exterior door and no windows. The insulation appears to be adequate in the ceiling and I cannot feel any hot or cold spots on the walls. Any suggestions? Is this an issue with the AC not being to properly circulate at night? If circulation is the issue, what can be done to correct it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ionized_gw

If it is fine with the door open but hot when it is closed, you might need a better return air path from that room. How many returns do you have and where are they? Do your vents "bot hard and cold" with the bedroom door closed?

Bookmark   May 4, 2012 at 10:55AM
heatseeker

cut a venting area in the door so air can flow back to return. Or cut a new return in ceiling but those generAlLY don't work very well.

Bookmark   May 4, 2012 at 3:12PM
saltidawg

The master bed room has no windows?

Bookmark   May 4, 2012 at 5:52PM
energy_rater_la

Sounds like you need a return path for the air.
transfer grills or jump ducts would
provide this.

no windows??? not that this has anything to
do with return air..but seriously..no windows??

best of luck.

Bookmark   May 4, 2012 at 10:53PM
david_cary

I too saw the no windows but the exterior door could be glass. It still is strange but the door makes it code compliant. The extreme of this is a sliding glass door - then no windows is completely normal.

Undercutting the door is free and the easiest thing to do.

Bookmark   May 5, 2012 at 5:50AM
juliekcmo

At night there is not any solar load coming in to the living spaces of the home, adding to the cooling load. But you being in the bedroom is warming up the space there. The closed door is keeping the air from circulating, and the system isn't running much because there is no call for cooling at the stat, which I assume is not in the bedroom.

So you need to tell the stat you need it cooler.

Consider getting one of the new honeywell wi fi stats with the module that you take with you in the home, and take into the bedroom at night.

Or try propping the door open, or change your stat setting to have the fan run continuously.

Bookmark   May 5, 2012 at 7:14AM
jonnyp

Return air. You can only pump a tire to 30 lbs because the regulator is set to 30. Poke a hole and you can pump till the cows come home.

Bookmark   May 5, 2012 at 3:44PM
More Discussions
Enery efficiency of exposed ductwork?
What are your thoughts on the energy efficiency of...
ccintx
Problems with HVAC in 1958 Cape Cod
I've been reading the blogs here and hope that the...
ginaff58
Neighbor Finally Upgrades to Heat Pump
My next door neighbor finally took my advice and upgraded...
newtalk2
carrier infinity with greenspeed service settings
We just built a new home in central Kansas this year,...
Energywise.ks
Baseboard heater thermostats
We are looking to install (2) 120v baseboard heaters...
stephja007
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™